Is my Dehumidifier toast? Seeking some help before my trip to the dump.

Old 08-11-15, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is my Dehumidifier toast? Seeking some help before my trip to the dump.

I went to check on my dehumidifier in the basement yesterday and I noticed the floor was a little damp and the collection bucket was empty. My first thought was oh great, I've got a hole in my bucket, nope, couldn't find one anywhere. So I unscrew the sucker (a Danby I bought back in '07 just to clarify) and take a look under the hood, there was a block of ice frozen to the side of it which seem to be forming off a "rod thingy majig" to get technical. I decide to let it melt, shut it off and tackle it today.

So with the side and the back off I start studying, withing minutes of turning it on water begins to freeze around the rod again but no water is being collected. After doing some online searching my hypothesis is that it was leaking coolant. That being said why does this one spot (the rod) freeze while everything else (the evaporator and condenser) is room temp.?

Name:  humid3.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  28.4 KB Name:  humid.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  19.3 KB

Anyone out there think they can solve it?

~Hockeybuff

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-15, 06:08 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Welcome to the forum,
While we wait for the pros, is the fan moving a lot of air. It is the air flow that keeps pipes above freezing and the ice from forming. Again, I'm not the pro.

Bud

Old 08-11-15, 06:21 PM
Well thanks for the welcome, the fan is definitely moving a lot of air,but from my limited understanding the exhausted air should be somewhat warm, however in my case it stays room temperature.

~Hockeybuff

Old 08-11-15, 07:03 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
From my untrained thinking it sounds like the refrigerant isn't getting to the coils where the air would be cooled. That air then passes over a second set of coils where it removes the heat from the compression process. So yea, the final air should be exiting slightly warmer than the basement air.

Although dehumidifiers are often required in basements, have you eliminated as many sources of moisture as possible? Do you air condition the living space above?

If your outside humidity is on the high side, that air when cooled increases in relative humidity. A disturbing fact that I never knew before getting into energy auditing is that all homes leak an unusually large amount of air and a lot of it comes in between the house and the foundation. By a lot I mean all of the air inside a home is replaced every 3 to 4 hours. So, in essence, you are dehumidifying the outside air. If you have not aggressively sealed to reduce that leakage you could be in the 2 to 3 hour range. Homes tighter than every 4 hours will be experiencing other indoor air quality issues.

Bud

Old 08-11-15, 09:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,104 Votes on 1,024 Posts
Unfortunately your problem is a refrigerant leak. More than likely it's in the front coil where all the rust is. It's cost prohibitive to fix so it means you may be saying goodbye to it soon.

Only that spot gets frosted as there isn't enough refrigerant to get to the coil to make it cold. If you kept running it you would no longer even get that ice.

Where I live they won't take any refrigerant type appliances without a sticker certifying that the refrigerant was removed or there is none in the system.

Old 08-12-15, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the quick responses Bud and PJmax, looks like I'll be making a trip to Home Depot this weekend for a new one!

~ Hockeybuff

Old 08-17-15, 11:24 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
From what I've heard about new dehumidifiers, you got a VERY good run out of your old unit. Most of what I'm reading indicates the current crop of Chinese-built dehumidifiers only last a couple of seasons. Leaks in the refrigerant section is the usual culprit.