Buying a dehumidifier

Old 08-19-15, 05:41 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Buying a dehumidifier

I have just moved into a new house. However, I found out that my place is quiet humid. Is there anybody here having experience of buying dehumidifier. I found a buying guide here, but i need somebody sharing real experience. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-15, 06:11 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
The referenced article is good. However, any brand sold in your typical consumer store will not have a long life expectancy. Figure 5 years or so.

Also what area are you dehumidifying? Basement or upper floors? If basement then noise should not be a problem. If upper living space, noise and cost to operate may be a significant problem. Compare long range cost of unit and operation with central air conditioning. A lot paid now in A/C may be less in the long haul than the noise, discomfort and replacement/energy cost of dehumidifier.

Old 08-19-15, 08:25 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply. My first floor, not the basement is needed to be dried out. I already looked for energy start products but it seems to cost a lot. I consulted with my friends and they recommended the combination of dehumidifier and air-conditioner is okey.

Old 08-19-15, 08:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,110 Votes on 1,030 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Basically a dehumidifier is nothing more that an air conditioner. You could go out and buy a window air conditioner and sit it in the middle of the room and it will dehumidify.

It would be much more effective to buy a small window A/C and get some cooling and dehumidifying from it. A dehumidifier blows the heat back in to the room. A window A/C blows the heat outside.

Old 08-20-15, 04:38 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
The only drawback with a window a/c is the noise factor.

Old 08-20-15, 07:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,110 Votes on 1,030 Posts
Noise ? Most dehumidifiers are just as loud as a window A/C.

Old 08-20-15, 08:39 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
When you say "My first floor, not the basement is needed to be dried out.", is there a specific problem or just day to day humidity?

I'm assuming you do not at present have air conditioning. Depending upon where you are in CA the added heat from a dehumidifier, as others mentioned, can be a real negative. AC of some sort is a better solution.

The other factor to consider is the outside humidity. All homes have a high rate of air exchange. The lowest tolerable rate is replacing all of the inside air every 4 hours, 2 or 3 hours is more typical. That means, if you outside humidity is high you will need to run the dehumidifier constantly to maintain a lower reading inside.

I'm not sure what a "combination of dehumidifier and air-conditioner " is, but avoid inexpensive gimmicks that attract buyers because they claim to combine features. A window ac is both, or any other ac unit. Maybe just a dial setting on the front.

Bud

Old 08-23-15, 11:24 AM
Received 41 Votes on 35 Posts
Is the house a new build?

It may take some time for the materials to dry out.

Be sure to run exhaust fans when cooking and showering, and if the house lacks properly vented fans, have them put in.

A dehumidifier should only be needed when it's more humid outside than in and ventilation is not an option. California is dry, no?