Nest with Aprilaire stand alone humidifier

Old 10-14-15, 11:55 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Nest with Aprilaire stand alone humidifier

Hi guys - sorry to chime in on your thread but it appears that you know how to help me...

I have an Aprilaire whole-house humidifier that is stand alone, not connected to any heater in any way. It has a simple 2 wire controller.

Nest told me to remove the controller, attach the 2 wires to my relay, and run one wire to the * terminal on the nest.

Problem is, the relay doesn't have ANY instructions on WHERE those 2 wires go, or WHERE the 1 wire goes.

I have an identical relay to the one below:

Name:  46508d1423979516-nest-2-0-aprilaire-800-humidifier-wiring-operation-90290-relay.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  20.0 KB

Which number is the output to the Nest, and which numbers are for the red and white from the humidifier?

Separated from.... http://www.doityourself.com/forum/hu...operation.html

Last edited by PJmax; 10-14-15 at 08:22 PM. Reason: started new thread
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-15, 09:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,112 Votes on 1,032 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

how are you powering the nest...... from the furnace ?

The WR 90290 relay
1 and 3 are the 24vac coil
2 and 4 are the normally open contacts.

1 goes to the nest *
3 goes to C
2 and 4 go to humidifier..... no polarity.

Old 10-17-15, 10:07 AM
J
The Nest is currently connected to my hot water gas furnace with 2 wires (RH & W1). I wasn't going to use the relay for heat, I bought it just to connect the humidifier to the Nest on it's own (because I assumed they had nothing to do with each other?).

My goal is just to get rid of the Aprilaire controller and be able to control the humidity remotely (for my houseplants) because I live in two different states.

So I should just do this?

Run the 2 wires from the humidifier to 2 and 4 and then run 1 down to my Nest and connect to the * input

Right?

Thank you so much for your help, it's hugely appreciated!

Last edited by Joyryde; 10-17-15 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-17-15, 01:56 PM
J
Controlling an Apriliare 360 Whole-House Humidifier with Nest 2.0

Hi,

I have regular gas baseboard heat, which has always been connected to my Nest with the red and white wires.

I also have a STAND-ALONE Apriliare 360 Humidifier that is controlled separately, it has nothing at all to do with our heat.

I am attempting to control my stand-alone humidifier with my Nest as well now. I bought this relay and I followed the instructions here today to connect it using the 1 wire star (*) connection. Took me 2 hours to fish the wires and connect the relay, and now after all of that, I turned the Nest on, followed the instructions on screen to set up (*) as a humidifier, and now nothing happens. There is no control on the screen, nor on my phone, for the humidity. Just the temperature. The Nest says that all 3 wires are connected correctly, and the heat still works fine, but the humidifier doesn't come on even though my screen says HUMIDIFYING.

This post seems to say that there's something else involved, but I'm not sure why there would be.

Can someone explain? I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

Last edited by Joyryde; 10-17-15 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-17-15, 02:09 PM
J
I also figured out that the humidifier can't be controlled from the Nest itself, but once in the web interface you can control it in a convoluted way by clicking SETTINGS > EQUIPMENT > HUMIDIFIER as pictured below. I assumed you would control it using the interface the same way you control heat.

Name:  Nest.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  7.3 KB

I still need your help with why it doesn't turn on though...!

Old 10-17-15, 03:24 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome back. I joined your threads. I need to keep it in one location. Here is good.
I'm out on the road and will respond back in reference to your wiring issues late tonight.

P.S. most of those fancy diagrams are mine. They're all over the internet.

Old 10-17-15, 03:36 PM
J
Oh! OK, I thought I was helping by making a new thread, sorry!

I rechecked all of the wires, called Nest (They refused to help), and am at a loss. I connect the two wires from the Aprilaire 360 and it comes on, but the relay is not turning it n when the Nest says it should be, so it's not the wires, it's not the Nest, it has to be the relay, or the wiring. I even tried testing all of the relay connections, nothing turns it on.

Old 10-18-15, 01:02 PM
Group Moderator
Ok... here's the problem.

You have your nest connected to the furnace with two wires. This is called power stealing mode. The nest's battery charges when the furnace isn't running.

You don't have a C wire connected to the thermostat. Here's where nest and I disagree.... a WiFi thermostat SHOULD be required to have a C connection for power. I had originally figured you had C at your stat connected.

Your relay requires a connection to C and the * to activate. Since you don't have C connected at the stay you'll need to get it at the boiler. I'll need to know what the thermostat wires connect to at the boiler. It will probably be some type of aquastat.

Last edited by PJmax; 10-18-15 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-18-15, 01:11 PM
J
Thanks!

I had to bypass the Nest today because humidity dropped to 29% and we were feeling it. Turned on just fine when I reconnected the two wires together...

Old 10-20-15, 04:39 PM
J
For some reason I'm not getting any email notifications when you reply even though it's set to "Subscribe to this thread and notify me of changes instantly via email"...so sorry for the delay.

Yes, the furnace definitely charges the Nest, they told me to do it that way...

Here is a photo of the 2 wires that go from the nest to the furnace, problem is, they're all mixed up with more identical wires.

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  30.9 KB

I didn't know relay's needed power. It's mounted directly next to an unused regular power outlet (where the humidifier is plugged in), is there some sort of plug-in relay I can get? I'm leaving for 8 months in a week and really want to figure out how to do this!

Old 10-20-15, 05:02 PM
Group Moderator
You shouldn't need anything additional. In your picture is a zone valve. Yes....they run on 24vac supplied from a separate transformer. Usually that transformer is mounted to an electrical box.

Your two wires that go to the nest actually end up right there at that valve.

Answer a few questions and then we'll continue.

Is that the only zone valve ?
If yes... no problem. If no.... how many are there and do you know which one the nest controls ?

Assuming the valve in the picture is the one we're concerned with. I see maybe three cables.
One should go to transformer, one should go to the nest, one should go to the boiler.
Can you ID these and note them here based on the diagram ?
The numbers in pink have labels on the valve.... post them too.

A
B
C

Name:  nest_in_progress.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  30.8 KB

Old 10-20-15, 06:07 PM
J
You're incredibly good at this, THANK YOU!

So B is definitely going to the Nest for the heat. It's connected to 2 & 4, and via the yellow wire nut it continues on to what I assume is the zone 2 valve.

I found the ZONE 2 VALVE on the wall behind this one. Two of the brown wires (including the one with the wire nut) go to that valve. Two of them go down to the transformer that's mounted on the electrical box.

It's hard to get in there, it's in a tiny cramped room. Let me know if that's not enough, and I'll crawl back in again!

Old 10-20-15, 06:25 PM
Group Moderator
You're welcome.

I need more information.

Cable B goes to stat.
I need to find the transformer wiring to that valve.
I need to know where cable A and C go. You may have to untape the wire bundle to trace them.

Is there a part number for that valve ? Honeywell xxxxx

Old 10-20-15, 06:57 PM
J
OK, so...

C runs from 3&4 down to a grey Honeywell box that's mounted to the furnace. Pictured here:

Name:  honeywell.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  28.7 KB

A runs from 1&2 to the same grey box.

The two wires on the transformer run to a GREEN 'Safgard' box pictured below:

Name:  safgard.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  46.9 KB

Here's a picture of the whole system, valve one top right, valve 2 behind furnace, transformer on back wall, green and grey boxes in the center:

Name:  system.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  34.0 KB

Here is a close up of Valve 2 with specs, if needed:

Name:  valve.jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  29.1 KB

Old 10-20-15, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
Ok.... we're getting there. C is the line that fires the boiler.

Let me digest.... be back in 10 minutes or so.

Old 10-20-15, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
I still can't get the wiring clear in my head. The white from the stat should not be on an end switch terminal like it is in your picture.

We're just looking for a common (C) connection here.... right ?
You have one wire from the relay going to the * terminal at the Nest..... right ?

I'm going to assume this is correct. The B cable IS the line going to the nest.
At the nest.... red is on R and white is on a W.

If you have a voltmeter..... check between the red wire of cable B to either transformer terminal. The terminal that shows 24vac to the red wire is the common/C connection. That's where the relay C connects to.

Old 10-20-15, 07:56 PM
J
So I should run a wire (I have one left over from wiring the white to the * for the humidifier) from the yellow wire nut (red wire) al the way over to the new relay for the humidifier...and connect it to which terminal on the relay? 3?

I don't have a voltmeter, just an electrical tester to check that there is current.

Old 10-20-15, 08:09 PM
Group Moderator
The relay you are wiring for the humidifier requires 24vac to operate.

Terminal 1 of the relay goes to the nest *.
Terminal 3 of the relay needs to connect to the common wire of your zone valve system.

There are wiring standards that are usually followed. They were not with your system.

Here's what you do. Run your wire from the relay terminal 3 to either terminal of the transformer. Try the system. If it works you're set. If not..... connect to the other transformer terminal. You won't hurt anything by using the wrong terminal.... it just won't work.

Another way to confirm the system is wired correctly is after you connect the relay..... go to the nest and short the R and the * terminals. The relay should click OR go to wire confirm and it will tell you if * is active and that will mean the wiring is correct.

Old 10-20-15, 08:15 PM
J
OK, I'll wire it direct to the transformer rather to that yellow wire nut.

I don't have any more of those crimp-on things to connect the wire to the relay, so I'll have to try it tomorrow

THANK YOU!

Old 10-20-15, 08:19 PM
Group Moderator
You're welcome..... goodnight.

Old 10-20-15, 08:43 PM
J
Nothing happens. Connected the wire to the red side of the transformer and then held the other end on to relay #3, hunidifier didn't come in, so I connected it to the left, white side of the transformer. Still doesn't come on.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  25.5 KB

Views: 1858
Size:  22.5 KB

Old 10-20-15, 08:56 PM
Group Moderator
Maybe the nest isn't calling for humidity or is not programmed right.

Old 10-20-15, 09:05 PM
J
Views: 1181
Size:  23.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  18.5 KB

Not sure why this keep uploading sideways, but here's what the best says. Seems accurate to me?

I even went to the TEST mode and it says "Humidifier should be on"

Old 10-20-15, 09:30 PM
Group Moderator
When you disconnect the * wire at the relay..... it no longer shows up active on the nest screen ?

Old 10-20-15, 09:46 PM
J
No, when you disconnect the * wire on the relay, NOTHING happens on the Nest. Only when you disconnect the * wire from the Nest base does the Nest recognize that the humidifier has been disconnected. When the wire is in the * terminal the Nest recognizes it regardless of where that wire goes or what it does.

Old 10-20-15, 10:30 PM
Group Moderator
Ok.... so it doesn't know if the circuit is live.... just that a wire is connected.

I'm afraid we're going to need a meter here to continue. Even a basic $10-$15 one from depot is fine.

Old 10-21-15, 11:36 AM
J
Figured out the problem. I started over today and followed the wire from the Nest for the heat. It DOES NOT go to that terminal. It goes directly into that grey Honeywell box.

Does that get us anywhere?

Old 10-21-15, 12:40 PM
J
So I got ancy today and decided to test this by connecting the relay to #4 on that terminal, and the humidifier came on!

Is that how it should be?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57758[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 10-21-15, 06:29 PM
Group Moderator
So you're saying the stat wire is not B in the picture. Ok. The white connection on terminal 4 would appear to be a common connection point with all the white wires there.

Check the operation. Make sure humidifier works with the stat calling for heat and not calling for heat. If all checks out you're ok.

You can't hurt the nest or the humidifier if wired incorrectly because the relay is in between and acts as a buffer.

Old 10-22-15, 10:04 PM
J
Works perfectly, turns on when needed, and off when necessary. THANK YOU!! You're amazing.

Old 10-22-15, 10:47 PM
Group Moderator
You're welcome... thanks for letting me know everything worked.