How should I drain to outside?

Old 10-20-15, 06:12 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
How should I drain to outside?

When I bought my cottage a couple years ago there were 2 dehumidifiers running in the basement. There is one bedroom, a utility room, and the open floor area at the bottom of the stairs. I tried shutting them off but didn't like the clammy feeling I got down there.

Both units drain through garden hose poked through the uninsulated wall above grade (the units sit on high shelves), where the hose just lays on the ground under the balcony. I assume the extra length is to keep bugs from entering but there has to be a better-looking way to discharge the water...? Preferably something that will also work in the winter cold.

(BTW there is no utility sink or any drains in the basement, and the house can go for 2-3 months unvisited during the winter)

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-15, 06:33 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Does the basement have a concrete or dirt floor?
During the winter, the cold air will contain much less moisture helping to control that humidity.
Depending upon other factors, a buried drain line to a drain pit might be an option.

Otherwise, a collection point and a condensate pump might be able to pump that water up to where it can drain out the normal way.

Bud

Old 10-21-15, 06:38 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Basement is block walls & concrete floor. It's lakefront so even in winter the dehumidifiers keep it drier feeling.

Your condensate pump suggestion has me thinking...I don't have a "normal" way to discharge the water--even upstairs there's no utility tub. The pump has a much smaller tube output that is pressurized when the pump is running. I think this would be more bug-proof and attractive than a hose sticking out the wall. PLUS it will allow me to put the dehumidifiers on the floor where they won't be as loud as they are now at ear-level.

Thanks Bud.