Help wiring Honeywell HE 150

Old 10-25-15, 09:10 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help wiring Honeywell HE 150

A HVAC guy installed a heat pump and a Honeywell HE 150 humidifier for me last year, I had used him for several years. For reasons too long to detail here I cannot call the HVAC guy (well I can but he won't answer or call back) so I am on my own.

I noticed the humidifier calls for "water" all the time (that is whenever the humidistat calls for it), even when the furnace fan is not running. Upon on investigation I found that the installer had not run any wires to the equipment board in the humidifier. According to the wiring diagrams I have I should be able to hook up a wire from the Gt terminal on the equipment board to the white wire coming from the thermostat, as well as a common wire.

I did that but the valve will still open whenever the humidistat wants humidity. All it then does is overfill the reservoir and run water down the drain.

Both dip switches are to the left, which means 1 is off and 2 is on.

How can I get this thing to only humidify when the fan comes on?

Note: I do have a heat pump, so I assume only the yellow wire is energized when it's running and not the white wire, regardless, that should just mean the humidifier valve won't open unless the furnace kicks in (a different wiring problem to be solved after I can get control of the humidifier).

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-15, 09:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,104 Votes on 1,024 Posts
You have a heat pump and a furnace ? That would need to be addressed now in the wiring.... not later.

When a heatpump calls for heat the Y is energized. The W only gets power to activate the electric reheat coils. If you have a furnace there is an additional step.

Going to need the make and model of the air handler.
Make and model of furnace... if there is one.

Name:  Honeywell humidifiers.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  33.0 KB

Old 10-25-15, 10:50 AM
W
The furnace is a Goodman GMP 125 using LPG. I could wire it up to turn on the fan itself (hooking to G wire), if that would be a lot simpler. However, I would rather have it only when heat is called for. The heat pump is a Tempstar Model N4H3. All is being controlled by a White-Rogers Model 1F95-1277 thermostat. The furnace was installed in 2000 and the other 3 May of 2014.

Old 10-25-15, 12:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,104 Votes on 1,024 Posts
I'm looking into it now. The problem is getting the furnace AND the heat pump to activate the humidifier or do you only use the furnace for heat ?

I didn't look up that stat yet but I hope it's capable of and set up for dual fuel. You don't want the heat pump and furnace to run at the same time.

You may end up just using the G terminal from the furnace to turn on the humidifier.

Old 10-25-15, 02:00 PM
W
The furnace only kicks in after the heat pump has run for a period of time. The stat is capable of and set up for dual fuel. After the furnace runs awhile it will shut down and the heat pump will finish getting house to temp. Obviously the stat is programmable so in the morning it has to raise the temp up from 60 to 69 (assuming the house got that cool over night). The humidifier does have a diagram for hooking up the green wire, then when humidification is needed it will turn on the fan. However, I still think if the white wire is hooked up, if it is not energized then the humidifier water valve should not open. I realize that won't get me any water in the house but at least then I know I have control of the humidifier. The G wire diagram is just a little confusing. It shows a red wire hookup (24 volts I assume), no C, stat green to Gt and Gf to furnace G. But a note says "Only needed if systems stat does not isolate Y from G. If needed break the stat G . . ." This note is only referring to using the Gt pin hookup. The DIP switches are then both set Off. Unclear what "isolate Y from G" means. The pins at the stat are not jumped but separate wires going out.

I should add the stat is configured so the HP will not run below 30 degrees.

I certainly appreciate you help.

Old 10-25-15, 02:05 PM
W
I know all the schematics are online but if it would help I can scan and post any that might help. I have wiring diagrams for HP, furnace, stat, and humidifier.