Two wire humidistat to a Trane xv95

Old 10-27-15, 02:31 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two wire humidistat to a Trane xv95

Installed a new desert spring 3200 and it came with an manual humidistat and separate transformer.....all good it is installed just want to only run the humidifier via the humidistat when the heat/blower is on.....read so what I am now confused ...

There some thing about a r and be jumper to cut and then possible other jumper to create .....then read certain time not to do this .....

My humidistat is generic and only has two wires coming out of it ....one goes to the wall transformer other goes to the humidifier / motor. (Also wire connection the other transformer wire back to the humidifier/motor)

Furnace is a new Trane xv95. UH2B080A9V3VB .... If you need how the t-stat is connected let me know but it does NOT have humidistat control.....I will have to control humidity level manually but only want it running when the furnace heat kicks in.....I assume that is the best way.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-15, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Connecting to the newer Trane units is a little tricky. Your manual shows a 120v switched line to control the humidifier. If that were indeed the case.... you would put your humidifier transformer inside the furnace near the control board and connect it to neutral line in and the BK2 terminal on the high voltage terminal strip. The board would supply 120v to turn on the transformer and then your humidistat would control the humidity level.

Don't make any wiring connections yet. I need to get feedback from my partner here, Houston, to confirm.

Your manual.... Trane/2011/2012/XV95-Installation-Manual.pdf

If you didn't want to try something like this an alternate way to control the humidifier is with a sail switch. It gets mounted in the return air duct and when the blower runs.... it activates. There would be no connection to the control board inside the furnace.
Honeywell-S688A1007-Sail-Switch/dp/B000I0UT1W

Old 10-27-15, 04:49 PM
T
Thanks for the quick response, would like to do the connection over the sail switch but will wait for you to talk to Houston and get back to me.

My manual has a dash -21-EN at the end not the dash -13 like the one you posted but the model number on your manual matches my furnace. Perhaps USA vs Canadian distribution.

Old 10-29-15, 05:55 PM
Group Moderator
Houston did not stop by here. If you'd prefer to use the sail switch..... I'd recommend that method better anyway.

Old 10-29-15, 07:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
I have always had bad luck with sail switches. I prefer current sensing relays. If it grabs the heating speed wire to the blower motor it will only allow adding humidity in heat mode.

That note 9 refers to reducing blower speed in cool mode to reduce the humidity in the home. It does not apply to adding humidity.

Old 10-30-15, 10:35 AM
T
Thanks Houston, the relay sound like a great option and exactly what I would like to do.

Humidity only when heat / blower is on.

Now how do I do that and what do I need...... no worries doing the work just never done it before.

Old 10-30-15, 11:10 PM
Group Moderator
Here's a link to wiring it. The module has two wires which interrupt your current humidifier loop.
The white or yellow neutral wire for the blower passes thru a jaw on it. It detects when the motor draws power and activates.

current_sensing_relay_install_guide.pdf

amazon/Aprilaire-50-Sensing-Relay-24-volt/dp/B002T0ZTNC

Old 11-01-15, 10:26 AM
T
Red face

Perfect thanks .... part on order