Aprilaire 700...new humidstat problems

Old 12-10-15, 08:50 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 700...new humidstat problems

I have an Aprilaire 700 that was professionally installed a few years back with the older Model 50 humidistat. It stopped working last season and I'm just getting around to messing with it now.
The solenoid was not opening, so I tested it with a meter with the humidistat in test mode. It was getting 0 volts, so I assumed the panel was bad. I just swapped the old panel with the new 60 series. I moved R,C,ODT1,ODT2,H,H to the exact same terminals on the new panel.
What I noticed is that G and Gf are not wired. Is this a problem?

Solenoid is still not opening in test mode, it's still getting 0V when it should be powered to open.

Any advice on isolating what the issue is?

Thanks,
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-15, 09:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,109 Votes on 1,029 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Aprilaire 50..... maybe 56 ?

In addition to the wires you already have connected.... you'll need a W to W wire. This wire is what activates the humidifier when furnace is calling for heat.

On your old h'stat.... how did it know when to run ?

Old 12-10-15, 02:19 PM
M
Thanks for the welcome!

Sorry, yes...56 was the prior model.
I could hear the solenoid click, the water hiss and could see drainage down the hose. I came on when the heat kicked on. It did not run constantly. I would actually hear it before I heard the furnace fan start pushing air.

Here's a pic of the 56 wiring before I swapped it out with the 60.

Name:  IMG_3977.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  38.3 KB

Old 12-10-15, 06:05 PM
Group Moderator
Your old humidifier control would operate properly with either a switched or continuous power source. I have a feeling your R is not really R.

There are also two model 700 humidifiers. Old style and new style. The old one.... pre 2007.... required the solenoid wires to be shorted to work. The new style requires power to operate the solenoid. Can you check and tell me if the HH wires go directly to the humidifier or is there a transformer inline ?

Right now.... I can't tell what told the humidifier to operate. If your R and C lines are always live 24vac.... then there is some type of switch in the HH lines.

Old 12-11-15, 08:01 AM
M
HH is wired directly into the humidifier, so it's the older style with the transformer built into the fan unit. I pulled it apart and the transformer is pretty rusty and also attached to the circuit board.
Still can't figure out how this thing called for power though...

Old 12-11-15, 08:34 AM
Group Moderator
So that means when you short the two HH lines.... the humidifier runs.... correct ?

It looks like you'll need to run the W wire.