Installing Aprilaire 700 on Carrier furnace

Old 12-16-15, 01:25 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing Aprilaire 700 on Carrier furnace

I was wondering if someone could assist me in the wiring for the Carrier Weathermaker 8000 + Aprilaire 700 Humidifier + Aprilaire 60 digital humidistat + standard digital thermostat? I "some what" understand the wiring, but want to make sure I am doing it right before I energize this stuff.

Temp probe goes outside, I know that, but then the two wires go on the humidistat. Two wires from thermostat to the humidistat, and then wires from humidistat to the furnace. Here is my schematic the way I "think" the wiring should be:

HUMIDISTAT:
R ---> TO FURNACE "R" (I DONT KNOW WHERE THAT IS, SEE PICTURE ATTACHED OF FURNACE CONTROL BOARD
C ---> TO FURNACE "C" (I DONT KNOW WHERE THAT IS, SEE PICTURE ATTACHED OF FURNACE CONTROL BOARD
A ---> NOTHING
B ---> NOTHING
ODT 1 ---> OUTDOOR PROBE ONE WIRE (EITHER ONE FROM PROBE?)
ODT 2 ---> OUTDOOR PROBE OTHER WIRE (OTHER ONE FROM PROBE?)
W ---> TO FURNACE "W" (I DONT KNOW WHERE THAT IS, SEE PICTURE ATTACHED OF FURNACE CONTROL BOARD
G ---> TO THERMOSTAT "G" WIRE
H 1 ---> TO ONE OF THE TERMINALS ON THE TRANSFORMER (THERE IS A LEG LABELLED "HUM" ON FURNACE CONTROL BOARD INSTEAD OF THE TRANSFORMER?)
H 2 ---> TO ONE OF THE BROWN WIRES FROM THE 700
Gf ---> TO FURNACE "G" (I DONT KNOW WHERE THAT IS, SEE PICTURE ATTACHED OF FURNACE CONTROL BOARD

TRANSFORMER (WITH MY FURNACE ISNT THIS NO LONGER NEEDED?)
SCREW A - TO BROWN WIRE FROM 700
SCREW B - TO H2 ON HUMIDISTAT

THERMOSTAT:
R ---> To "R" on furnace (is this the "R" to wire to humidistat also? so follow wire from the thermostat to the furnace and add a wire to go from furnace screw to humidistat?)
C ---> To nothing?
G ---> To "G" on Humidistat
Y ---> To "Y" on Furnace
W ---> To "W" on furnace (is this the "W" to wire to humidistat also? so follow wire from the thermostat to the furnace and add a wire to go from furnace screw to humidistat?)

FURNACE:
R --> to humidistat and thermostat "R"
C
G ---> remove from thermostat and attach to humidistat "Gf" instead
Y --> to thermostat "Y" only
W --> to humidistat and thermostat "W"

A couple questions. How do I wire the solenoid to the equipment? I read that I dont need a transformer with my furnace. I can direct wire the solenoid to the furnace but I dont know how/. Please leek at my photos and see if they make sense. Any help is very appreciated

Mike from Minnesota

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-15, 08:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You'll be using the connection to W instead of HUM terminal.

This is the preferred way to connect to a furnace. The system uses the 24vac transformer that came with the humidifier package to power the humidifier.

Name:  700_newer.jpg
Views: 7595
Size:  30.6 KB

This is an alternate way to connect to the furnace. This method uses the 24vac transformer from the furnace to power everything. This can be taxing on that transformer.

Name:  700_furnace power.jpg
Views: 3592
Size:  29.1 KB

Old 12-17-15, 05:24 AM
Z
Thank you very much! I didnt think about the load that would be going to the furnaces transformer. My next option would be to wire the transformer supplied with the humidifier to a constant 110. If I do that, I could also use the 110 source to direct wire the thermostat. Is there a way to accomplish that? Im decent at electrical so doing the wiring is no biggy. just wondered if there was already a feed somewhere in the furnace.

Old 12-17-15, 11:58 PM
Group Moderator
I could also use the 110 source to direct wire the thermostat.
I'm not following you there. (and it's 120v now)

Usually there is a service switch on the side of the furnace. That junction box is a good place to mount the transformer. This way it shuts off with the service switch.

Ahhh.... you meant a 120v source for the humidifier. Yes.... you could actually install a new box with a single receptacle for the humidifier and the transformer could go in the side.

Old 12-18-15, 05:22 AM
Z
110,120...lol. SOrry I just have always referenced it as 110. I did look last night and drilled a 3/4 hole on a piece of sheet metal the control board is mounted to and mounted the humidistat. I followed the wiring from the junction of the main toggle switch and tapped into thos. Now I have the transformer mounted inside the furnace and hooked into the main voltage right aftyer the switch. One last question and I think I am done....

why does your diagram skip the green line? the drawing with the humidifier shows green being used, but your shows green only going form thermostat to furnace instead thermostat to humidistat and then back to furnace. Just wondering if that changes any functionality?

Old 12-18-15, 12:31 PM
Group Moderator
The green wire(s) are only needed if you want the humidistat to turn on the furnace blower with no burner. I've found that enough humidity is not transferred without the heated air making that an ineffective/wasteful idea with most humidifiers.

Old 12-30-15, 07:39 PM
C
Same question......

The original poster had a bunch of questions of where specific wires went to. I too am installing an Aprilaire humidifier and have a quick one..... Where does the "c" wire connect to? I have no c terminal on my furnace. Does it connect to common? Or something different? I thought maybe that one was optional, but I have no power to the humidistat.

Help please. Thanks. chad

Old 12-31-15, 12:43 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

The C connection is common.
Post the make and model of your furnace..... look for ID tag inside near burner.
or take a picture of the control board and post it... http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 01-12-16, 09:04 AM
Z
I installed this a week or so ago and everything works with one problem. The humidifier kicks on even when the furnace does not. It works when furnace is on, but also when furnace is not on. Seems I have it wired wrong to trigger the fan on to the furnace but fan is not triggering on.

Old 01-12-16, 09:37 AM
Group Moderator
Then you didn't follow my diagrams and used the two green wires ?

Old 01-12-16, 10:21 AM
Z
I double checked all wiring and I am 99% sure it is right. Really dumb question though. There are two switches. One inside and one outside. Where should they be set to? I have the internal to Manual and external to On. Is that why? When both are "on" i get the E and backwards E. Does the Blower activation switch mean to turn on the humidifier when needed regardless of furnace? Maybe that is where my setting is wrong?

Old 01-12-16, 11:21 AM
Group Moderator
Does the Blower activation switch mean to turn on the humidifier when needed regardless of furnace?
Yes..... with the blower activation switch on...... the humidistat will start the blower and humidifier based on humidity.

The manual mode switch is used when you don't have the outdoor temp sensor connected.

aprilaire/Lit/60_62_ADHC_install.pdf