Looking for information on vintage humidistat

Old 12-17-15, 07:08 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking for information on vintage humidistat

After we built our home back in 1978, I installed a "Sears Best" central humidifier, don't remember the model number, but it came with an automatic humidistat (which has a temperature probe that extends outside and monitors the exterior temperature.) We used this setup for 10-15 years and then bought a new "Sears Best" Kenmore 3000 Central Humidifier which came with a manual humidistat; which I installed and we are still using today.

Anyway, got to wondering the other day if it would be possible to reconnect the old Sears automatic unit (beats having to remember to reset the humidity dial when the temps outside are expected to drop overnight). Still have the probe running to the exterior wall, but nothing is connected and I don't remember which wires went where. (I'm pretty certain that it was 24 volt powered, whereas the current one is 120 volt powered).

It's labeled as a "Sears Automatic Humidity Limit Control", model number 387.93190. It measures approx. 3-1/2" high by 7" wide. Furnace mount.

If anyone recognizes this controller or can help me figure out how to wire it, I certainly would appreciate it.

Here's a picture of the cover:
Name:  Cover.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  21.7 KB

Here's a picture of the inside:
Name:  Guts.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  32.9 KB

Here's a picture of the side panel with the electrical connections:
Name:  Connectors on side.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  22.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-15, 07:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
You're missing a digit.... probably under the screw. 387.93190X

That's an old White Rodgers built h'stat from back in 1969. (2269 is a date code)
Probably uses horse hair.
Probably time to put in a museum.

Old 12-17-15, 08:37 PM
E
Hey Pete, thanks for the response. I believe that it is the correct model number, part as shown on the part itself (pulled the screw to make certain) and I was able to find it on SearParts.com.
Didn't realize it was a 1969 model, didn't buy the unit until around 79 or so. (Guess it doesn't surprise me though).
Thought they used a nylon sensing thread back then? (May be wrong, but seems I read that somewhere).
Would still like to find the wiring diagram for it, guessing the two terminals are for the remote thermistor, but haven't the foggiest what wires connect the the three terminals. I'll continue to research White Rodgers, betting they used the same type connection pattern on their other models.

Museum, yea that's for certain. But hey, if it works ......... big grin

BTW, have been doing some more research and found that humidifier was a Sears Model 78 (303.937800). They don't have any manual available for it however. (Big surprise).

Old 12-17-15, 09:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Maybe you could try contacting this seller and see if he still has the manual for sale.
Sears Model 78 central system humidifier owners manual

I've come across a model number for that h'stat...21593601. Still can't find any wiring info.

Old 12-17-15, 09:35 PM
E
Yea beginning to think it's a waste of time.

What would you recommend for a humidistat with remote sensing? Don't really care for digital not anything that has all the bells & whistles. Just sets the humidifier automatically so that I don't get up in the morning and catch hell from the wife as she discovers all the windows soaked with water. (heh)

PS did send him an email, but it over a year old ....