Tis' the season for low humidity (HE240 Install Help)

Old 12-24-15, 10:17 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tis' the season for low humidity (HE240 Install Help)

Hi everyone, I have been running through a bunch of other installs and got mine finished late last night. Had to install it high on the return side due to space issues but didn't see in the installation manual that the humidistat had to be higher than the humidifier which added some extra cutting.

Name:  WIN_20151224_12_54_53_Pro.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  33.3 KB

My main reasons for posting are that I would 1) Like to get rid of the transformer and wire directly to the furnace if possible and 2) Find a proper thermostat to control the humidity from the 1st floor.

Name:  WIN_20151224_12_56_39_Pro.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  24.1 KB
Name:  WIN_20151224_12_54_32_Pro.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  31.1 KB

I'm lost at both of these. I know that most people wire up a Nest but I don't get where the wiring would work out. I assume I would have to run the * to the humidifier somewhere and the yellow C also. I also didn't see anywhere inside the cover of the air handler where I would wire the power to the humidifier as others have done (see above pictures).

Maybe I'm just lost when working with HVAC. The install was pretty easy and it does work but my humidity levels are still very low as it only runs when my heat kicks in and the temperature outside is pretty warm for winter. Unfortunately, with a pregnant wife who already is susceptible to nose bleeds, we are looking for a solution.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and have a great holiday!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-15, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,114 Votes on 1,034 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

No shortage of humidity here in NJ.

You installed the humidistat in the duct.... and you want to control it from the first floor ?
The humidistat needs to be upstairs to control it from up there.

If you have an older home with a lot of air leakage..... you will be limited to maximum humidity in the house. The humidifier is only an aid.... not a cure all. A heat pump runs at lower temps and will not greatly aid in humidity increase. Better insulation and stopping of air infiltration is the only way to raise humidity.

You don't need a thermostat that controls humidity unless that's what you want. Let me know what you want to do. There are many choices of stat. nest is just one. I'm a Honeywell man.

There will not be cut and dried wiring to your air handler. It's basically two heat sources.... the heat pump and the back up electric heat. More than likely we'll need to use a relay here.

Old 12-24-15, 11:18 AM
K
Well I installed based strictly on the installation and it said it was recommended to have been installed on the duct. I did see that there was instructions for wall mount but due to ignorance on my part I just went with the duct.

Would a thermostat that can control humidity run the unit in Fan mode along with the humidifier to achieve desired settings? I do understand that this however would cause a lot of extra waste and I really need to get a hygrometer in the mean time.

We had new windows installed last year and have been sealing air leaks as best as possible (6 month wait for air leak test). Next is going to be having new insulation blown into the attic. We are in a townhouse so we have two directly connected neighbors and not a lot of leakage if any through those walls as they are fire walls.

The only reason to wire to the furnace is that there are no good outlets near the unit, I may just wire a new 120 outlet to the ceiling or closer by so I think for now I'll just scrap that idea.

Old 12-24-15, 11:36 AM
Group Moderator
Getting power from the air handler is not the issue. Having the air handler control the humidifier is the problem.

There is no return on investment for running the humidifier without heated air. It can be done....just not effective.

If you're considering the nest.... now would be the time to get it as it would take care of most of your problems.

You can temporarily wire your system like in the diagram. The humidifier will run when the blower is on and the humidistat is calling for humidity. This means the humidifier will run in heat pump active (heating) and/or in FAN ON mode. So you can run the system without heat to get a humidity boost.

Name:  HE220_260.JPG
Views: 375
Size:  32.7 KB

Old 12-24-15, 12:41 PM
K
Awesome, I think I'll look into investing in the nest. After wiring the nest it looks pretty easy to get the humidifier added in and should be able to figure it out. Thanks for your help!

Old 12-24-15, 12:51 PM
Group Moderator
You need to keep in mind the nest requires at least one additional wire from the stat to the air handler for the * connection.

You can wire it per the diagram for now.

Old 12-24-15, 06:50 PM
K
You think it would be easier to just run a whole new cable with the extra wire in the bundle?

Old 12-24-15, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
Definitely a good idea to run a new cable if you don't have the extra wire(s).
I like to run seven conductor cable for future expansion.