Aprilaire 768 humidifier + model 60 humidstat wiring

Old 01-30-16, 03:41 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 768 humidifier + model 60 humidstat wiring

Hi,
I have a model 768 Aprilaire humidifer (almond case) which was previously hooked up to a Model 56 Aprilaire humidistat. I now want to hook the humidifier up to the Model 60 digital humidstat. The 768 has the internal transformer (almond case) and provides 24 VAC continuously from the two brown wires from the 768. In the model 60 humidstat installation manual there is a warning to use Figure L for almond color 768's as they have an internal transformer. When hooked up to the model 56 humidistat (A/A terminals), I noted that there is 24 VAC until humidity is called for at which time the the A/A terminals go to 0 VAC and the solenoid is then powered (I'm guessing the internal relay in the 768 then triggers the humidifier fan and solenoid to be energized).

My question is, can I simply hook up the brown wires coming from the humidifier to the H/H terminals on the model 60 thermostat without issue? If so, then I will get water flow when the heat is called for. Can I take it one step further and add the Model 50 current sensing relay in series with one of the humidifier brown wires so that I only get water flow when both the heat is called for and the fan kicks in (assuming I leave the blower activation switch off on the humidistat)? Thanks for your help in advance.

Name:  model60heatonly.jpg
Views: 1903
Size:  24.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-16, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If the two brown wires coming out of the humidifier measure 24vac and when you touch them together the humidifier operates.... then you have the wrong diagram.

Name:  768_A.jpg
Views: 1315
Size:  30.2 KB

Old 01-30-16, 11:19 AM
P
Hi Pete,

Thank you for the welcome.

When I touch the two brown wires (from the humidifier) together, the fan/solenoid starts. So, based on the diagram you've provided I should be able to directly connect the brown wires to the H/H terminals of the Model 60.

With that settled, can I put in the Model 50 current relay in series with one of the brown wire so that only water flows when the fan comes on or is better to let the heat signal control the humidistat and let the water flow before the fan comes on (typically about 1-2 minutes)?

Pete

Old 01-30-16, 11:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
If you're going to use an automatic humidistat you may as well let it control the humidifier.
When power is applied to the W terminal..... the humidifier will start. (based on humidity too)

Old 01-31-16, 03:18 AM
P
Thank you so much! I will set up today.

Pete