Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Humidifiers and Dehumidifiers
Reload this Page >

Advice on Santa Fe Whole House Dehumidifier Permanent Installation & Cost...

Old 02-17-16, 01:03 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My home is 1 story, approx 2,400 SF, on piers in Tampa, Florida and built in 1939. The house has been remodeled and has decent (not the best) insulation. Presently I am running a Trane AC unit and variable speed air handler. I have lung health issues and want to maintain a 50% humidity rating year round. I bought a standalone Frigidaire dehumidifier for $200 which works great but isn't a permanent solution. I am looking to put a whole house dehumidifier in the attic.

Today I received a quote of $4,800 for a Honeywell unit which has a retail price of $1,700 (120 pint). They said that it would be a one day install for duct work, electrical and pvc drain. There is plenty of attic space and the unit would rest next to the air handler. It is the same AC company that I use but question the overall quote and quality of the unit they recommend.
  • Assuming that there isn't anything too strange about my installation, what should I expect to pay for the install?
  • How do I go about finding a reputable whole house dehumidifier installer?
  • Is it bad to use a separate company to install the dehumidifier into my existing duct work? (ie....could Trane dump my extended warranty because of the installation)?
  • Are there any settings that would need to be tweaked on my existing AC unit that would require me to have the current AC company to come out after the dehumidifier was installed by a third party?

Thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-16, 01:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
I'm not an authority on dehumidifiers but a dehumidifier is basically the same thing as an air conditioner. What does your A/C keep the humidity level at ?

Old 02-17-16, 01:24 PM
A
It currently ranges depending on the weather from 50-60%.........

Old 02-17-16, 01:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Usually by controlling the fan speed the humidity can be controlled. Is that something they looked into ?

Old 02-17-16, 02:05 PM
A
I have exhausted (pun intended) all of the settings on the existing AC unit in the past. I definitely need a dedicated dehumidifier for optimal results and just trying to find the best option without being raped....