Aprilaire 700 installation problem

Old 02-27-16, 10:46 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 700 installation problem

Hello,

I have an Aprilaire 700, I would like to use the Automatic controller, but don't have enough space. My furnace is a down flow, on a crawl, so to clarify the return duct comes out of the ceiling then under that is the filter, next is the furnace, and finally flow goes down thru the A coil and down thru the floor and into the duct. I mounted the humidifier in the return duct but that doesn't leave the minimum 6" spacing to mount the controller before the humidifier. Anyone experienced this, or have an idea how to get around it. I do have the manual controller but would prefer to use the automatic one.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-16, 11:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Manual or automatic humidistat.... same difference in mounting location.

The humidistat doesn't have to go into the duct. It can also be installed anywhere where there is conditioned air. It's usually installed in the duct so that it can get a sampling of the average house humidity.

I have mine installed next to my regular thermostat in the living room..... which is just about the center of the house.

Old 02-28-16, 07:02 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Pete,

Maybe you can explain in a little more detail for me. I'm am only going by the installation instructions for the model 60. It says the humidistat should be in the duct before the humidifier, bypass ductwork, or fresh air ductwork. So if you mounted yours on the wall is it spaced out for the sensor in the rear to still get air. If this is the case, is it as accurate or do you have to adjust it a bit higher or lower to get the desired humidity?

I was thinking of mounting it in the return duct, but the only available location would be on an adjacent side of the duct at approximately the same height.

Thanks,

Cimos14

Old 02-28-16, 07:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
It just needs to be out of the direct path from the air leaving the humidifier. Basically anywhere before it is ok.

I'm using an older style manual h'stat but yes.... you'd have to let the sensor sense the ambient air.