Stop the flooding

Old 03-05-16, 11:07 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Stop the flooding

Hi - the pvc tubing on my furnace mounted humidifier disconnected itself from the compression multi-turn angle water supply valve causing some minor flooding in my utility room. I replaced the compression sleeve and brass insert and wrench tightened the brass compression nut a full turn after finger tightening it. My question is this: what can I do to prevent this from happening again? I'm considering applying some type of epoxy glue to the pvc tubing and brass compression nut. Would that work; if so, what kind of epoxy glue should I get? If not, what should I do to prevent this from happening again? Thank you for your usual excellent advice.

madhuri shree voted this post useful.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-16, 11:12 AM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
Got a picture so we can see what your seeing?
Was there a brass sleeve inside the tube to keep from crushing it?
https://www.google.com/search?q=plas...wAF2FUO5UaM%3A
Or use a fitting like this with the plastic insert.
https://www.google.com/search?q=plas...wAF2FUO5UaM%3A

Old 03-05-16, 11:49 AM
R
Hi joecaption - Yes there was a brass sleeve inside the tube, which I replaced along with the plastic compression sleeve. This is what I replaced.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sioux-Chi...-100130396-_-N

Old 03-05-16, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wrench tightened the brass compression nut a full turn after finger tightening it
Plastic tubing needs tightened more than this. You already prepared it properly with a Delrin Sleeve and insert.
The nut should be wrench tightened until tube will not slide out easily, the ferrule grabs the tube. This is a little more than hand tight.

Once tube grabs tighten one full turn and check for leaks. If tightened properly, this will be a secure connection and no sealant is needed.

Old 03-05-16, 01:12 PM
R
Hi Handyone - thanks for your reply. No leaking and connection appears to be secure. I'm keeping the input water valve turned on only one quarter turn (just to be safe). Is that ok?

Old 03-05-16, 01:27 PM
Being safe is tightening properly. If you only put one turn after hand tight, put another 1/2 to 1 full turn on.
You couldn't pull out a properly tightened tube if you tried, but avoid over tightening.

Any valve should be fully opened and the water flow unrestricted, using the valve as a limit can cause even more problems.

Last edited by Handyone; 03-05-16 at 01:31 PM. Reason: limiting
Old 03-06-16, 12:19 PM
R
Ok Handyone - I tightened them an extra 1/2 turn and all is well, thank you. I am however confused about the setting of the water input valve. It is not a saddle valve and is similar to this one: (homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-Nominal-Compression-Inlet-x-3-8-in-O-D-Compression-Outlet-Multi-Turn-Angle-Valve-OCR19X-C1/202047058[/I])

It was installed a couple of years ago by a plumber and he said to keep it set at 1/4 to 1/2 turn opened. What problems might be caused by not setting it at fully opened? Was I given poor advice?

Old 03-06-16, 02:16 PM
My concern was to explain the tube will not blow out if connected properly, so you're good.

If you're not having any problems with the valve opened partially, then leave it as is and you weren't given poor advice. Some solenoid valves, such as a water dispenser on a fridge operate best (and must be) at full pressure. Not using a full port valve might void the warranty.