Panasonic spot ERV and dehumidistat wiring help

Old 03-09-16, 08:59 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Panasonic spot ERV and dehumidistat wiring help

A little background on what I am doing. I have a fish room that I want to install a ERV and dehumidstat in to kick on when the humidity in the room gets above a certain percentage. This will exchange some fresh air from outside with the air in the fish room. This tends to help with skimmer efficiency.

I plan to do the install myself but I am confused on how the wiring should be done. I have the following:
Air King DH55 dehumidistat - 2/3 wires?
Red Wire
Black Wire
Green Wire (Internal)
http://www.airkinglimited.com/instructions/DH55IO.pdf - Page 2
Panasonic - FV-04VE1 - WhisperComfort™ Spot ERV
Green Wire
Black Wire
White Wire
Wiring Harness
Yellow Wire
Orange Wire
Blue Wire
ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/ventilationf...4ve1_en_om.pdf - Page 6
From the wiring diagram it appears the ERV is normally wired to a double switch but I want the Air King to control it. Also what gauge of wire should be between the Air King and the ERV? The Air King will be located about 10 linear feet from the ERV.

This is the last step before I can put in drywall so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-16, 10:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,103 Votes on 1,023 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The wiring size is not listed in the install guide. See if you can find the volts and amps from the rating plate on the unit.

Are you planning on using the hi/low switch ?

Old 03-10-16, 05:53 AM
N
PJmax thanks for the welcome. On the Air King I clearly see something that says Electrical Rating: 120VAC, 7.5A.

Name:  20160310_081301.jpg
Views: 1378
Size:  17.3 KB

This is the picture from the ERV
Name:  20160310_081449.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  28.9 KB

Please let me know if this helps. In regards to the high low feature...I am not sure I follow. I basically want to be able to set the Air King and based on the setting have it turn on the fan. The Air King also has an On setting that I would like to use if possible. So in summary I would like to be able to set the Air King reaches a certain Humidity and it kick the fan on and also be able to manually turn on the ERV from the Air King.

Old 03-11-16, 10:30 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not sure if this unit will control your indoor humidity much. I was watching a good/un-biased piece on you tube about it. you tube/watch?v=-3CRGhu8C5I

Using 14-2 w/ground cable... bring your 120v feed into the ERV and connect to the white, black and ground.

Run a piece of 14-2 w/ground NM-b cable from the ERV to the Air King.
Connect black to black at the AirKing and to orange wire at ERV.
Connect white to red at the AirKing and to yellow at the ERV.

To have ERV run on high speed..... connect the blue to the orange.
To have ERV run on low speed..... just cap the blue wire off and do nothing with it.
You can always change speed later.

Name:  ERV.jpg
Views: 3086
Size:  25.8 KB

Old 03-12-16, 01:00 PM
N
Wink I am liking this forum!!!!

PJmax,
Thank you so much I really appreciate your very detailed instructions. My wife also thanks you as she says she now feels I will be alive after the wiring is done...lol. I will try to get this done this weekend thanks to you. That video is one of the only decent videos on the product which is kinda sad and was one of the first videos I watched when I started researching the product.

As far as controlling the humidity in my case it will be more of an exchange of air. I am just using the humidity in the fish room to trigger it coming on as I do not want it to run continuously. Here's what I mean... my fish room will be a closed room where there is no direct cooling for heating from the rest of the house. As a result when people are over for our fish meetings due to the carbon dioxide levels increasing the air is less oxygenated causing the skimmer to not perform at peak efficiency. What this allows is an exchange of outside air to help combat the stale air and keeping my water levels pristine . It's overkill for the situation but once we moved my wife plans on having more gatherings and the visit to the fish room is always like part of the visit. If the air from outside is too humid I have a dehumidifier that is set a bit higher than the fish room Air King.

Thanks again I really appreciate it. When the fish room is all done I may post a picture.

Old 03-12-16, 04:05 PM
Group Moderator
You are very welcome. Be sure to test it before closing the wiring in.

Old 03-12-16, 07:12 PM
N
Will do! Once again thanks. Check your pm by the way.