Kenmore De-humidifier does not work

Old 06-03-16, 11:32 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore De-humidifier does not work

This is a Sears/Kenmore model 580.5435170.
It worked just fine until a couple of weeks ago when it completely stopped. No lights, no fan and no compressor.

Took the thing apart, removed housing, control panel and everything else to have easy access to each part. Since most of the screws are all of the same size it's easy to keep track of where they go.

Here is what I did:
1. Capacitor seemed to have a very slight leak. Replaced it with a new one, although the new one is oval instead of round. Not a big deal, I will make it fit in the existing slot if needed. Did not help.
2. Replaced the PCB assembly board. Did not help.
3. Measured power to compressor. Zero
4. Measured power to fan. Zero
5. Measured power between red capacitor lead and black incoming power. 124V (I would have expected 370 V, or thereabouts, to start the compressor, but I am only guessing.
5. Measured power between blue lead from CB and black lead compressor. Zero
6. Checked CB on board fuse. OK
7. Bypassed (hot wired) bucket-full switch. Makes no difference
8. Bypassed (hot wired) humidity sensor switch. Makes no difference

Oh, yes. I hear a slight "click" when I plug in the unit to a power outlet, but I can't figure out where it comes from. Almost seems from the bottom of the compressor, but I can't tell for sure. Same when I unplug the power cord. ...and yes, I tried tapping the compressor a little to see if something happens.

I am sorts of at an end of what to look for next. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-16, 03:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,104 Votes on 1,024 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I know that's a Goldstar/LG produced dehumidifier. There have been some recalls on similar units for control board failure (fire) but yours is not one of them.

You've found 120v volts inside the unit which means the power cord should be good.
The bucket switch is a typical problem.

The cap is rated for a max of 370vac but that doesn't mean you should measure that. That same cap can be used in 240vac appliances.

You are not going to measure any power to the compressor or fan without the control board being active.

You said "no lights". The manual shows that to be a manual unit with just one light.... bucket full. Is this incorrect ??

Old 06-04-16, 09:56 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
yes, you are correct. There is only a "bucket full" light. I was trying to say that the light does not come on when I push the button in. I also short circuit the "bucket full" circuit to make sure it is not the switch.

Old 06-05-16, 10:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,104 Votes on 1,024 Posts
I can't locate a schematic of the unit. There may be one posted somewhere on it.

I only have a few detailed schematics for dehumidifiers. They are basically identical to a window air conditioner. Only the controls boards are different.

What I'll do is to clip one lead of my meter directly to the incoming white wire from the power cord and leave it there.

Then I'll check for 120vac at the black wire of the power cord. Then I'll visually follow the 120vac circuit thru the unit checking along the way.