Humidifier to Ecobee with older board

Old 12-05-16, 03:56 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Humidifier to Ecobee with older board

This has been a very helpful thread, thanks everyone!

I, too, had a bypass humidifier I wanted to add to the ecobee3 thermostat control. I followed the same setup as Dannicholson, including the PEK, and everything works fine with the humidifier.

I wanted to check that I have this set up right because the compressor kicks on for about 15 seconds at the end of a heating cycle and I do not remember this happening with the old thermostat. Basically here is what happens:

1. Actual temp falls below set temp
2. Heat turns on (gas furnace with forced hot air) and runs until desired temp is reached
3. When desired temp is reached compressor unit outside turns on for about 15 - 30 seconds.
4. Compressor turns off.
5. System runs in fan only mode for about a minute to make use of the residual heat in the furnace as expected.

Here is a picture of my board before installing the ecobee3.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  35.1 KB

Note there is a jumper from R to GH. And I treated GC as if it were just G. The C wire was connected to the humidifier and I left it that way. After the install, the ecobee3 PEK is wired to the same terminals as are used in the picture above plus the C terminal, so there are two wires going to the C terminal, one for humidifier solenoid power and one for the PEK.

I was wondering if the compressor kicking on would be at all harmful to the system or shorten the life of the compressor. On a side note, we are in the cold season here so I haven't tested the Air Conditioning functionality yet.

Thanks for any help!

~ Steve

Separated from...
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/hu...ml#post2583328

Last edited by PJmax; 12-05-16 at 07:59 PM. Reason: reoriented picture/started new thread
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-16, 06:51 PM
T
Just an update. I did some additional research and thought it might be a wire getting crossed that causes the fan outside in the compressor unit to kick on at the end of the cycle. Not sure why, though I will have to check my wiring at the PEK. I may have to forego the PEK and ecobee humidistat control to test the if the PEK is causing the issue by wiring the extra wire directly to the C terminal on the furnace circuit board.

And just to confirm, I do not have a heat pump, just the gas furnace.

Also, let me know if I should post this elsewhere in the forums - I thought it was appropriate here because it was related to the bypass humidifier integration into the ecobee3.

Thanks!

~ Steve

Old 12-05-16, 07:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Always best to start a new thread so all the replies given are related directly to your topic.
Referencing an old thread is a good idea.

Ok..... on your control board there is Gc and Gh.
Gc = G for cooling. Gh = G for heating.

There should not be a jumper from R to Gh. The furnace will supply the Gh voltage when the heat is running.

Why are you using the PKE. I see a spare black, orange and blue ?

Old 12-06-16, 08:37 AM
T
Thanks for moving this to a new thread...makes sense!

I figured out that the A/C compressor runs in fan only mode, which makes sense that it would kick on at the end of the heating cycle when the ecobee3 tells the fan to run in order to dissipate the remaining heat in the furnace.

Those extra wires you see (orange blue and black) are actually from a different cable that meets the cable running from the thermostat upstairs, where it is then crimped together with the original 4 wires that come from upstairs: yellow, green, red, and white. I used the extra blue wire that came from upstairs to connect directly to the humidifier. So a total of 5 wires coming from thermostat location upstairs only. I used the PEK so I could take advantage of the 5th wire to run the humidifier.

The original humidistat was also crimped together with a wire that ran outside, presumably for temperature? There is a wire from the humidifier solenoid that is crimped together with the brown wire that runs to the C terminal on the board that you see in the picture. I left this as is, since this is how the humidifier solenoid gets power. There is a third wire crimped together with the brown wire and the humidifier power wire, but I don't recall where that one goes.

It would probably help if I had a picture of that as well, or a diagram.

Do you think removing the jumper will fix the issue with compressor running in fan only mode?

Thanks.

Last edited by Trogdor; 12-06-16 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-06-16, 09:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
I don't know why that jumper is there. Technically it should keep the blower running continuously. I would remove it and see if it helps..

Old 12-06-16, 07:29 PM
T
So removing the jumper causes the blower to run continuously, kind of the opposite of what we thought. So I had to put the jumper back. In fact, it seems to be a factory installed jumper that a lot of other people have been confused about based on my research of this older control board.

So I took a picture of the wiring that exists outside the furnace. Bear with me as I tried to add some labels:

Name:  furnace wire with comments.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  43.3 KB

Let me know if any of this needs further clarification.

Thanks!

~Steve