Aprilaire 600 only works on TEST mode

Old 12-15-16, 03:29 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 600 only works on TEST mode

I've got an Aprilaire 600 with the 56 controller. About 10 years old. Water flows only when it is on test mode. It's very cold today have static electricity all over the place, which is how I realized there's a problem. The water pad was completely dry.

I tested the outside sensor and it had 75k ohm at about 5 degrees outside, so that seems fine. Solenoid is fine as well since it works in test mode.

I am assuming I need to replace the controller with a new 56 or possible upgrade to a 60? But I am wondering if there are any other troubleshooting steps I can do before I spend the money. I took the controller off and cleaned it but it did not help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-16, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You need to discuss your furnace connections. What tells the hstat the furnace is running ?

Name:  Aprilaire_Humidifier_Wiring2.gif
Views: 5861
Size:  24.4 KB

Old 12-15-16, 07:14 PM
P
The wire goes inside the furnace.. There's a diagram on the furnace that says the humidifier is powered with the furnace fan. Looks like there's a small transformer in there. It measures 25 volts AC. That transformer attaches to terminal EAC1 120v.

And yes the humidifier kicks in when the blower starts (or, it should. And it does, in test mode). It worked fine last year but I can't say that I have noticed it working this year, it was a warm fall though.

Old 12-18-16, 07:56 AM
P
I decided there really is no option here. The solenoid and temperature sensor work, voltage is OK, etc.. so there is nothing else to this. it must be the control board.

I ordered a model 60 to replace this model 56. understand the wiring may be different but it looks like it is just one additional wire... no problem i think. And I've seen your other threads about it.

I've left it on test mode for the last few days and this morning it is -17 degrees and tons of (Frozen) condensation on the windows. So i turned it back off and will let the house dry out again. Will have to do 'manual control' until the replacement arrives.

Old 01-06-17, 05:12 AM
P
I had cancelled my order for the Aprilaire 60 because the one I have started working again. But now it is stopped again. It's obvious to me it is malfunctioning so I ordered the 60 once again.

In looking at your other threads about this, you have posted wiring diagrams. But they differ from what Aprilaire installation manual shows. For example the G wire, you don't show it connected, but Aprilaire wants that to be disconnected from thermostat terminals and run through the humidistat instead.

Can you describe in more detail how to "rewire" my humidistat and upgrade from the 56 to the model 60? Currently it is not getting 24v constant so i'll need to make some obvious adjustments and I know how to do that. I just don't understand the differences between your diagrams and what aprilaire shows in their diagrams.

Thanks

Old 01-06-17, 09:39 AM
Group Moderator
I don't connect or use the G and Gf connections. These are connected if you want the humidistat to turn on the humidifier and the blower without the burner operating.

I have found that there is not enough moisture transferred to the cool air to justify wasting the water. Running the humidifier with the burner will give you the best operation.

Old 01-06-17, 01:36 PM
P
I see now, thank you for the info.

Old 01-10-17, 04:45 PM
P
Getting ready to hook this up and I notice on the original wiring diagram from the contractor they say "do not use hum terminal". Any idea why? HUM is for humidifier, it is powered when combustion is on. Existing controller model 56 is hooked up to EAC which is for electronic air cleaner, it is powered on whenever the fan is running. I had planned to connect the new model 60 controller to HUM terminal until I saw this note... unsure what it means or if it's even important. I would think with the model 60, getting continuous power, it should be on the HUM terminal so it runs when the gas is burning.

Name:  0110171829.jpg
Views: 2059
Size:  39.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-10-17 at 06:24 PM. Reason: enhanced diagram
Old 01-10-17, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
Just so I'm on the same page as you...... I lightened your diagram to see it.
Is the "humidifier control" in that diagram a new model 60 h'stat ?

If so you need some major wiring changes. The HUM terminals on a 60 are just switched together. No power comes out of them.

The 60 needs continuous 24vac which you can get from your rewired transformer or the R and C terminals on the furnace.

The following is my standard diagram which differs slightly from Aprilaire due to the G/Gf wiring.

Name:  600A_T.jpg
Views: 2533
Size:  31.3 KB

Old 01-10-17, 07:01 PM
P
The diagram shows my current controller, model 56. I am installing the 60 as a replacement. I see your diagram seems more simple than Aprilaire's but I would kind of like to have the G/Gf wired up as well, so was thinking i'd follow their diagram. And if I didn't think it worked that well with fan-only i'd just move the switch to 'off'.

I have another 24v transformer used to power a multi-zone controller and that's constant. is it OK to 'share' that transformer (just run another pair of wires from it to the 60?)

Edit: Think I understand yours better now, you're using the R/C for the 24v source instead of a separate 24v transformer on the H terminals like Aprilaire shows. So if I want G wire, i should just add that and still wire like your diagram shows. And I won't use HUM or EAC terminals at all anymore.

Last edited by PotRoastMan; 01-10-17 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-21-18, 01:02 PM
J
@PJMax, wondering if you can help me...

I have an Aprilaire 600 with the 60 Controller. Got the E3 error code, so I wired the Outdoor Temperature Sensor and left it inside, and the E3 code was gone.
I've wired it according to the instruction manual, R/C/W/Gf going to the Furnace R/Com/W/G, H/H going to the Humidifier and using a 24v Transformer, and G going to Thermostat G.
When in automatic, it only works in Test Mode, and shuts off after a minute. When I have it on 7 and the furnace is on, the solenoid does not open and I don't believe the humidifier is on.
When in manual, it works in Test Mode, then I dial it down to 7 and the Humidifier and Fan turn on for a split second, then turns off for a split second, turns on, turns off, etc.
The RH% is consistently 20%... and the outdoor temperature sensor being inside should probably read to be about 20C, but I've set it to 7, so I think the humidifer should be trying to achieve at least 35-40% in RH.

I'm not sure what is wrong... logically the humidifier doesn't know right now when the furnace is turning on and solenoid is not releasing the water.

Could I wire it as per your Diagram #1? Get rid of G and Gf, and wire the R/C to Furnace's W & C?

Last edited by jt7788; 11-21-18 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-21-18, 11:54 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Pic 1 is a 56 humidistat. You have a 60 h'stat.

Name:  Aprilaire 60.JPG
Views: 2450
Size:  62.5 KB

Old 11-22-18, 10:50 AM
J
Hi PJmax, isnt the diagram above the same as the one as the installation manual, with the exception that G and Gf are not shown? Should I try to disconnect G and Gf, and see if it works?

Thanks

Old 11-22-18, 11:14 AM
Group Moderator
Yes.... it's basically the same. It's the W wire that calls for the humidifier to come on.
That's what you need to check.

Old 11-22-18, 12:56 PM
J
Thanks Pjmax. I tried rewiring twice now, and it is still not turning on when the furnace turns on. Any idea what the reason could possibly be?

Thank you!

Old 11-23-18, 05:22 AM
J
Managed to get it working, though not sure it is a long term solution.

I took off the ODT, switched it to manual, turned it to Test, the humidifier turned on, and then I turned the blower activation off (otherwise, the fan and humidifier would constantly turn on/off/on/off).

Still not sure why it wasn't working while in Auto...

Old 11-23-18, 08:41 PM
Group Moderator
Hmmmmmm...... possibly a defective outdoor temperature sensor. If you have an ohmmeter..... you can check it. Disconnect the wires from the h'stat. Don't touch the wires when making the test.

Name:  Aprilaire ODT resistance.JPG
Views: 1207
Size:  28.7 KB

Old 11-24-18, 02:35 PM
J
This is a very silly question... But I'd never seen an outdoor temperature sensor so not sure what I'm supposed to do with it or how it's suppose to look.

Out of the box, the sensor has a white rubber at the tip... (With a hole for a screw to go through presumably for when you mount it outside). Should this be taken off, or left on?

Thank you!

Old 11-24-18, 02:51 PM
Group Moderator
The sensor is outside and two wires are brought in an attached to the ODT terminals.
Remove those two wires and test them as previously discussed.