Steam Humidifier on Heat Pump Question

Old 12-20-16, 07:11 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Steam Humidifier on Heat Pump Question

I am planning to install a Honeywell truesteam humidifier on my Goodman 13 Seer heat pump. It's a high boy style unit. The one problem I might have is that Honeywell's manual states a minimum of 24 inches of downstream open air space in the duct is necessary to prevent condensation build up inside the duct work. The way the duct work is constructed is there are two mains branching off in opposite directions from the air handler. However, the clearance from the top of air handler (where it first meets ductwork) to the top of the "T" branch of the two mains is 20 inches. The only option to gain more clearance would seem to be to drill my hole into the back of the air handler where the electric heating element is (at least I think that's where it's located). I'm hoping someone can help me determine if it is acceptable to drill my inlet hole for the steam humidifier into the air handler shell (into the enclosed space with the electric heating element behind the electrical boards). My guess is probably not.

Another idea is could I drill the hole right in the middle of the horizontal "T" branch of the two mains? I'm presuming by doing this equal amounts of humidity will flow down each of the mains.

Any other advice is welcome.

Note: Installing on either main from the "T" branch doesn't seem possible unless I have two humidifiers: 1 for each of the mains.

Thanks!
Ryan

Last edited by Ryan M. Eberly; 12-20-16 at 07:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-16, 09:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,110 Votes on 1,030 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

My guess is probably not.
I would agree 100% since you don't want to be spraying the electric coils with steam.

Some pictures of your system would be helpful. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 12-21-16, 06:47 PM
R
Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate your help!

I attached a picture. You'll see the plenum goes right up in to a "T" branch for the trunks. You can see the left trunk, but it's hard to see the right trunk. Let me know if I can provide any other information.Name:  IMG_20161221_212909771 (563x1000).jpg
Views: 208
Size:  34.0 KB

Old 12-27-16, 03:38 PM
R
steam humidifer T fitting?

I posted in another thread about limited space in my supply plenum to meet the manufacturer recommended "24 inches of open air downstream space from the steam supply nozzle". For reference, the steam humidifier I'm installing is a honeywell truesteam unit. For my HVAC the supply plenum (13 inches tall) goes directly into a "T" where the two supply trunks of the ducts go in opposite directions. What I'm thinking is would it be acceptable to feed the steam hose from the humidifer unit into an approved T fitting and then send one outlet to the one trunk and the other outlet to the other trunk on the ductwork. I would presume half of the produced steam would be supplied to each trunk, and this would also solve the not having enough space to install on the supply plenum issue.

I contacted honeywell support and one person said to install it on the return. From much of the reading I've done this doesn't seem like a good idea since the return air will go through the air filter, and across the electric coils and basically through the entire air handler assembly (A coils, fan, etc.).

Anyone have any thoughts or better suggestions. I attached an image of the air handler. You can see the two trunks near the top of the image.

Name:  IMG_20161221_212909771 (563x1000).jpg
Views: 175
Size:  34.0 KB

Old 12-27-16, 03:45 PM
Group Moderator
Threads combined.

Why can't you put it in just before the ducts branch apart ?

Old 12-27-16, 04:03 PM
R
You mean in the center (apex) of the T branch of the trunks? I though that would be a good idea too. the manual says as long as the tip of the nozzle is 3 inches from any side of the duct its okay. Do you think that would be better than splitting it with a tee?

Old 12-27-16, 04:31 PM
R
so installing in the center of the trunks might be tricky. The return ducting butts up against the trunk on one side and the steel I-beam is very close on the other side to the point where the hose might get crimped.

Old 12-27-16, 04:59 PM
R
Okay I can probably undermount it. In the picture when looking at the handler from the front you can see a bit of the facing of the insulation from the trunk. Seems like that might be the best spot

Old 12-28-16, 01:17 PM
Group Moderator
I don't think the location is super critical.

Old 12-28-16, 05:06 PM
R
Yea I was doing some more reading and I found some information about a guy who had two units (one for upstairs and one for down) and the responses were that he could install it on one of the two units and the humidity will ultimately fill the space that the other zone was in. There is also some manufacturer docs from other steam humidifier manufacturers that state its okay to install on the return side, albeit not preferred, but to ensure it is mounted far enough upstream of the components in the air handler to allow for absorption.

Not a whole lot of documentation on the pros/cons of either though.

Old 12-30-16, 08:34 PM
R
Figured I'd follow up for the good of the Internet and this forum. After contacting Honeywell and Aprilaire, both said to install on the return side. In fact, they said many installations are done on the return side because of issues with branches on the supply side. So, I installed the remote nozzle on the return side. I'll see how this goes and post back later about how/if it worked.

I'll also say this, the unit is quite finicky (for those DIY'ers out there). I had a leak at the backflow preventer and solenoid valve. I eventually fixed it after removing the quick connect fitting and retightening it and reinserting the plastic tube. The sediment drain line from the RO filter also leaked everytime a fresh call for humidity was made. I had to push up on the 90 degree elbow from which the RO reject water comes from. Lastly, the RO filter rejects quite a bit of water. During the first cycle it took 30 minutes to fill the tank. The whole time I watched a substantial amount of reject water get flushed down the drain. The tank holds about 3/4 of a gallon. I'm not sure if this is how Honeywell is able to advertise such low maintenance. Lastly, the DIP switch configuration when using the humidifier with the Prestige IAQ thermostat is wrong. I ended up having to flip DIP 4 to the UP position for power monitoring of the furnace, even though I'm not power monitoring from the Humidifier. I configured the Prestige thermostat to control everything and to communicate with the humidifier via the wireless adapter.

I fired off a facebook message to honeywell because their tech support line is quite terrible. I highly recommend never calling the "lack of tech support line".