Aprilaire 600 - do I need to install a transformer?

Old 01-08-17, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 600 - do I need to install a transformer?

I have my Aprilaire 600 physically installed and plumbed and I'm ready to tackle the wiring. Spent some time on google and I see several alternative wiring diagrams that eliminate the transformer altogether. My furnace is a MSS9/CSS9 and I also have a DuroZone RED-4 zone controller.

1) The furnace control board has a spot for HUM (and EAC), but there is no connector there (picture two). I am not sure if this is something that can be added or if the furnace doesn't actually support it. Regardless, it appears that it would be providing 120VAC and I'd need to use a transformer anyways (per page 24 in the manual: http://hvacwarehousedirect.com/produ...96_install.pdf). So I don't see how this HUM terminal would help me at all even it was there.

2) I have a zone system with a controller (DuroZone RED-4). It has a separate transformer installed in the furnace already (fourth picture). Can I just use the outputs from this or would the dampers and the humidifier be too much load?

3) The third picture is a picture of the transformer in the furnace. I see some diagrams that have been posted that allow the elimination of the transformer by directly wiring from other terminals. Is that an option with this furnace given this transformer?

4) Assuming I can't do any of the above, I'll need to install the transformer that was provided. Where would be an appropriate location to install it? I was thinking either the bottom left of the first picture (under the brown wires) where there is a grommet in the blower compartment. That would leave the line connections inside the blower cabinet and the low voltage on the outside. It would tie into the same 120VAC wiring that the zone transformer is using (so it would also be controller by the door switch).

Otherwise, I was thinking that I could put it directly in the junction box that has the switch in it.

Is there a preference between these two locations or another location I haven't thought of? I'd put it on the piece of sheetmetal next to the other transformers but I don't see how this could mount there without the knockout that it's been designed to use.

For good measure (assuming it works), here are a few pictures of the system and transformers that are already in it.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-17, 01:29 PM
So I just looked around a bit more and found that the damper controller panel uses 8VA, the thermostat is 1VA, power open/close damper is 4VA, and spring return damper is 9VA (per a sticker on the inside of the controller box). So I have two thermostats and two power open/close dampers, so I'm using 8 + (1 + 1) + (4 + 4) = 18VA out of 40VA, leaving 22VA if I wanted to use it for the humidifier?

It says the humidifier uses .5 A @ 24VAC, so I think that means it'd need 12VA which the damper transformer would be able to provide without a problem based on the previous information?

Old 01-08-17, 01:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 375 Votes on 352 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You need to connect in between the zone board and the furnace. You will need three connections. R, C and W.

This diagram would work for you.

Name:  600A_T.jpg
Views: 5517
Size:  31.3 KB

Old 01-08-17, 02:15 PM
Thanks for help, that was one of the diagrams that I saw. Glad to see that I can use that to eliminate the extra transformer.

One question I had on the diagrams that I frequently saw posted here was eliminating the re-route of the G wire to the humidifier and then the Gf wire back to the furnace. Any particular reason that the AprilAire wiring is not recommended?

Old 01-08-17, 03:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 375 Votes on 352 Posts
The G wiring allows the humidistat to turn the blower and humidifier on without the burner.
I've found that there is not enough moisture transfer with the cool air to justify wasting the water and energy.

Old 01-08-17, 03:55 PM
That makes sense, I guess it probably wouldn't work without opening at least one of the dampers anyways.