Bad solenoid valve?

Old 01-18-17, 02:58 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bad solenoid valve?

I have a Honeywell HE260A and installed a new solenoid valve last month. Now the valve is stuck in the open position. To test to see if it was the valve and not the H908A controller, I disconnected one of the wires to the solenoid. This should have closed the solenoid, if it is working properly, shouldn't it? It stayed open. I've only had it a little over a month...surprised it would fail so quickly.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-17, 03:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 824 Votes on 774 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

These valves need water pressure to seal so make sure you have good water flow and not a clogged saddle valve point.

If you disconnect one or both of the wires and still get water flow.... the valve is bad.
Send the junker back for replacement.

I recently installed a leaker here too.

Old 01-18-17, 03:38 PM
P
Thanks. Come to think of it, I never did any comprehensive testing after I installed it. I just noticed that a few days ago, my RH was going into the 50s, even though I had the setting on the controller at 20. I bought it off of EBay, so I may be out of luck on getting him to send me a replacement. I had just replaced the saddle valve (which I thought was the original problem!) so the water flow is good.

Old 01-18-17, 03:41 PM
Group Moderator
Did you put the saddle valve in a new position ?
What happens is that the piercing gets clogged inside the pipe. If you put the new one in the old location.... the hole can still be clogged.

I've had miserable luck with saddle valves so I always sweat in a basic shutoff valve.

Old 01-18-17, 05:40 PM
P
I put the saddle valve in the same hole as the old one. I got plenty wet doing it so I don't think the hole is clogged in any way. i have nothing to compare it to, though, since that was the first time I ever installed one. The water was streaming out of the hole even with the hot water shutoff valve closed in front of it... the hole is on the exit pipe of my water heater downstream from the shutoff valve. I used a bucket to try to capture most of the water as I tried to maneuver the new valve into the hole. Then I took apart the old saddle valve and realized that it had no occlusions and that, therefore, the problem was either the solenoid or the controller. I just took a chance and bought a new solenoid and it worked fine for awhile.

When you say "sweat in a basic shutoff valve", I don't know what you mean.

Old 01-18-17, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
I solder a valve in the water line.