Aprilaire 558 install with Rudd Silhouette II Plus 2

Old 01-26-17, 11:16 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 558 install with Rudd Silhouette II Plus 2

Hi Everyone!

During the course of a bunch of construction in my utility room my Aprilair 558 stopped working.

At first i thought it was the solenoid valve. Replaced that. But I believe the wiring was messed up. The power to the humidistat was disconnected.

If I don't wire in the relay the system turns on but keeps running until I shut it off at the humidistat and runs with the furnace off. With the relay installed I get nothing. Not even on the test mode.

Bad Relay?

I attached several pics. One schematic how it is currently wired. Also added the furnace wiring diagram.

Is there a better way to wire this? I see that there is a HUM terminal on the furnace board. How would that operate differently from how I wiring it?

Thank you so much!!

Name:  Humidifier Install.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  9.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0061.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  40.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-17, 11:56 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
First, your transformer should be 24 volts AC not 16.
If you wire the transformer to the HUM and NEUT terminals on the furnace control board, you can dispense with the current sensing relay. The HUM terminal will have 120 VAC when the furnace is heating and blower is running.

If you want to use the relay, it needs to have only the blower common wire running through it.

Old 01-27-17, 08:19 AM
J
thank you for your response. 24V transformer is on its way.

Do you think the relay is broken since the humidifier works if that is left out of the wiring?

Also is the transformer on the Rudd 24V? The one next to the power switch is 16V and that is what I am currently using.

Also what size wire should I be using for all this?

Thanks again!

Old 01-27-17, 04:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
The OEM Rudd transformer is 24vac.
#18 thermostat wire is fine.

You may not be able to switch 24vac into the humidistat as some of those need full time 24vac to the power terminals and switched power to the solenoid.

What is the model number of the h'stat ?

Old 01-28-17, 08:12 AM
J
I am not sure of the humidistat model. I don't see it written on or inside. Here is a picture

Name:  IMG_0054.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  29.6 KB

Old 01-28-17, 07:53 PM
J
Ok. Hooked up like this

120 volt to hum
Hum to external 24v transformer
Transformer to humidistat
Humidistat to humidifier solenoid

With this configuration it runs with the fan off. I thought it would only run with fan running. Thoughts?

Old 01-29-17, 06:18 AM
C
120 volt to hum
You don't run 120 to HUM, HUM will supply 120 volts when the blower is running in heat mode. You connect the transformer primary between HUM and one of the NEUT terminals on the board.

One wire from the transformer secondary goes to the solenoid. The other wire from the transformer secondary goes to one terminal on the humidistat. The other humidistat wire goes to the other wire on the solenoid.

This assumes an SPST humidistat (most manual aprilaire models) and a 24 VAC solenoid.

Old 01-29-17, 11:11 AM
J
To clarify.

I am using the hum and neutral terminals to supply the 120 volt. I didnt wire to hum just from it. I believe I am wired as diagram #4. Even with this arrangement the humidifier runs when the fan is off. Not sure why. I am wired as "carbidetipped" recommends.

Name:  IMG_0062.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  49.5 KB

Picture of humidistat internals.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  33.0 KB

Old 01-29-17, 11:41 AM
J
I checked hum terminal when blower was off and it was live at 120 v. Makes no sense to me, I thought hum needed the fan running to energize.

Old 01-29-17, 03:35 PM
C
Sounds like you have an issue with the board or a stuck relay then. Probably easiest is for you to go back to using the current sensing relay. You can just put wire it in series with the line to the solenoid valve. The common wire of the main blower goes through the metal bracket of the relay. Make sure the metal bracket doesn't touch any other metal.