Solenoid Valve Question.

Old 05-12-17, 05:34 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Solenoid Valve Question.

Hello All,
I just got the Honeywell HE280 and will install on the weekend. Our furnace has old lennox humidifier that was installed by the previous owner which is drum type, saw a lot of mold and I believe it is not working. Lucky for me that all the wiring and water line are in place. I just installed Nest Thermostat and thinking of using Nest to control the Humidifier instead of Humidistat. I understand the wiring but DO I STILL NEED TO CONNECT THE SOLENOID VALVE with tube or pipe from the furnace since I do not want to make more hole into the furnace.

Thank you for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-17, 05:57 AM
S
Are you talking about the tube or the wiring ?

Old 05-13-17, 08:25 PM
T
Sorry, I am talking about the Tube. If I connect the wiring to the Nest, I do not think I need to connect the tubing to the solenoid since Nest will control the humidity, is that correct?

Old 05-14-17, 05:10 AM
S
No matter what stat you use you will have to use solenoid valve.

Old 05-14-17, 05:59 AM
T
Okay,
Thank you. So I need to connect the tubing from furnace to Solenoid no matter what. The reason is that my furnace duct is made out of Duct Board instead of Metal so it is a little hard to make hole since it is made out of fiber glass.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 05-14-17, 08:26 AM
S
Little confused, The tube should be coming from the hot water pipe ?? Not the furnace. I think we are talking about two different things.

Old 05-14-17, 09:03 AM
T
Yes you are correct, there is a tube coming from water line to solenoid but I believe Honeywell HE240/280 has another tube going into solenoid valve that somehow sense how much humidity in the furnace or something like that. I am also confuse myself about that. Another question is, do
I need to install relay since I am connecting to Nest Thermostat. Someone is I do not need but some other said I need. I am totally lost on that wiring also

Thank you

Old 05-14-17, 10:27 AM
S
Hmmm...I have never see that on a humidifier. I will look into this. As far as the relay goes, it depends on the furnace. I suspect you will have to use a relay. What is the model number on the furnace ?

Old 05-14-17, 11:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,110 Votes on 1,030 Posts
That humidifier uses a pressure switch to turn it on. Those small lines get installed into the ductwork so that it can sense vacuum/pressure based on blower running.

You can't connect that humidifier directly to the nest without disabling the pressure switch.

Can you see the actual metal solenoid where the water connects ?
There should be two like colored wired going to that solenoid.

Old 05-14-17, 11:25 AM
S
Ok that model uses a pressure switch. Plug the tube into the pressure switch and the other end is inserted in to the duct. This tells the humidifier when the fan is on.

Old 05-14-17, 08:17 PM
T
Thank you all for knowledge input. I really appreciated it. I decided not to connect the humidifier to the nest but just to the humidistat since there is a wire already at the family room next to Nest thermostat. But in the near future, I will connect the humidifier to nest when I have time to fish that wire to Nest side since I have only 5 cables to connect and All of them got use up already. I do not use the 24V adapter that came with the humidifier since my furnace board has 24V Hum wire which was connected to the old humidifier red wire and the white one was to the common.

To Answer Pete question, yes I did see 2 blue wire at the solenoid valve like you said. Please tell me how to disable the pressure switch since I might connect it to nest one day.

One more question, is it cold or hot water line I should connect to the humidifier. The old one was connected to hot water line which I do not like at all. Thinking of connect it to cold water line. Any suggestion?

P.S. My furnace is HEIL System. The blower, circuit board and Outside AC unit were replaced 2014 by previous owner of the house.

Old 05-14-17, 10:26 PM
Group Moderator
Hot water to the humidifier yields quicker humidity transfer.
Cold water works fine too. That's how mine is connected.

Very easy to connect to stat in the future. Using just the solenoid wires.
One wire goes to C at furnace and the other goes to * on the nest.

Name:  NEST_BASIC.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  4.8 KB

Old 05-15-17, 07:44 AM
T
That's really help, so I do not need relay?

Thank you, Pete

Old 05-15-17, 08:01 AM
Group Moderator
No relay needed. The nest directly controls the humidifier.