Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Humidifiers and Dehumidifiers
Reload this Page >

Frigidaire dehumidifier - overheating/smell, not working, surprise found inside

Old 06-10-17, 01:48 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I have a Frigidaire Dehumidifier, which has been working predictability and without issue for about 4-5 seasons. I output the appliance direct to a drain, so I don't have much reason or excuse to check it regularly. This year, after only a few days or service, I smelled what seemed like an overheating motor. I checked the dehumidifier and learned there was no water being collected or drained. Very dry.

We had some some drywall work in the adjacent room, which created a lot of dust. Our furnace filter clogged and we had the AC coils cleaned, so I suspected a similar issue could be happening with the dehumidifier. There was some dirt/dust in the output drain, and everything was dry.

After disassembling, I unfortunately gained little improved access to the coils, but I did observe an issue. See the attached pics. There was some modest rust within the coils, but my primary concern is the end of the green/yellow wires. There are two connections, both rusted, and this appears to have previously been connected to something near the coils. I can't find a matching terminal or anything. Not sure what this is (sensor of some sort).

Any thoughts? Could this be the source of the problem? And, how might I fix?

As always, thanks to all!

Craig

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-17, 02:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,109 Votes on 1,029 Posts
Those are grounds. They attached to metal. They are for safety and don't affect the operation of the unit.

In the bottom picture is the coil where the air enters. That would need to be carefully vacuumed.

It looks like your coils may have rusted thru in which case you will have lost the refrigerant.