Wiring Aprilaire 560 to ecobee4

Old 06-20-17, 01:32 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring Aprilaire 560 to ecobee4

Hi all,

I'm looking to wire my Aprilaire 560 to my ecobee 4. I've looked through multiple solutions but haven't seen one that will work in my case. Part of the issue is I can't see some of the wiring due to an old humidistat (Aprilaire 4016 - if someone knows how to take the front plate off please let me know, it's a huge PITA) that won't come off with any push and pull. The setup as far as I know is as follows:

(Mind my lack of electrical and HVAC knowledge)

The humidifier is wired into a transformer that does 110 to 24 V. The transformer is hooked into the same box as my furnace's master switch. The issue here is that I have no way to tell which wires are hooked into the transformer. I believe it is the two that come off the solenoid of the humidifier as I have followed their path, but have no way to see where they meet the humidistat unless I completely remove it since the faceplate won't come off.

As far as wiring to the thermostat, I have an extra wire that's not in use that I'm hoping to repurpose for the humidifier.

Around here and other places online, I've read that attaching one of the humidifier's wires to the C terminal at the furnace and the other to the ecobee's ACC+ terminal will do the trick. Other times I hear I need two wires going from the humidifier to ACC +/-. If the ecobee is bypassing my humidistat, which wires am I supposed to use for wiring to the ecobee? How am I to deal with the transformer in the mix? I don't believe I can wire the humidifier to the furnace if it isn't supplying the right amount of power. The other idea I saw floating around was using the Power Extender Kit even though I have a C wire and using my old C wire as the other ACC wire, if my case happens to be that I need both ACC +/-. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

(BTW the furnace is a Trane XE90)

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-17, 01:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,112 Votes on 1,032 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The Ecobee ACC+ terminal goes directly to one of the solenoid wires.
The other solenoid wire connects to C at the furnace.

The existing humidistat is no longer needed and can be abandoned in place.
The separate transformer is also not needed.

Old 06-20-17, 02:14 PM
J
Does it matter which wire goes where? Currently I have a white wire on the C terminal of the transformer and a red wire on the R terminal of the transformer. The transformer doesn't clearly say which is which (at least to me) but does have this writing on it: IMG 1869 - Imgur Upload.

Old 06-20-17, 03:36 PM
Group Moderator
The C terminal you need to use is at the furnace thermostat connection block.
There will be R, W, G, etc. and C there.

The system is AC which means no polarity.

Name:  trane.jpg
Views: 3288
Size:  38.6 KB

Old 06-21-17, 08:40 AM
J
I've disconnected the wires at the transformer and connected one to the ACC+ terminal, however my C terminal at my furnace already has 3 wires on it and I cannot get a fourth to stay on. Is there a solution to this?

Last edited by jack3chu; 06-21-17 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Spell check
Old 06-21-17, 10:11 AM
S
Might be able to do away with one of those wires. Trace the 3 wires and let us know where they go.

Old 06-21-17, 12:26 PM
J
I ended up pigtailing them in groups of 3. The wires all went to necessary places: AC, air cleaner, humidifier, and thermostat. I finally got everything installed and running A-OK! Thanks for the help.

Old 06-21-17, 08:07 PM
Group Moderator
That can be a problem with the C terminal. Everything wants to get connected there.
You could also remove all the wires and make a splice bringing one wire to the C terminal.

Thanks for letting us know how you made out.

Old 12-15-17, 02:04 PM
J
Hi - I have the exact same setup with an Aprilaire 560 and am installing an ecobee4. I am interested in the routing for the c wire both from the solenoid and the ecobee4.

Does the c wire from the solenoid going to the furnace remain in place? the second wire from the solenoid is connected to a transformer.and then wired to the furnace.

Also, does the c wire from the ecobee4 ( ACC - ) go to the transformer or directly to the furnace. Currently, the humidstat has two wires with one routed to the solenoid and the second to the transformer ... which is then connected to the furnace.

Thanks for your help

Old 12-15-17, 02:17 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Please re-read post 2.

Old 12-15-17, 02:27 PM
J
I read that and was still a little confused.

So is the transformer only needed for the humidistat?

Therefore, the c wire for both the solenoid and ecobee4 can be connected directly to the furnace without the transformer?

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-15-17, 03:51 PM
Group Moderator
Yes... both get connected to the same C connection.
The power to run the humidifier is coming directly from the Ecobee now.

Old 12-15-17, 07:05 PM
J
Ok.

One more question. I just looked at the solenoid and it says 24V. Can this still be connected to directly to the furnace board or does it still need to go to the transformer?

Old 12-15-17, 07:57 PM
Group Moderator
Your furnace board runs on 24vac.
Your thermostat also runs on 24vac.

From R to C on the terminal board is 24vac.
Your Ecobee supplies 24vac on the ACC+ terminal to the solenoid.

Old 12-15-17, 08:06 PM
J
Thanks again for your help. I will be installing this tomorrow.

Old 12-17-17, 07:26 AM
J
Install completed.

The wiring for the humidifier is considered a single wire install in Ecobee terminology.

The humidifier solenoid wires go to:
1) the Ecobee4 Acc+ terminal
2) the furnace board c terminal.

The Ecobee4 Acc- terminal is not used. Therefore, the remaining second wire from the old humidistat was not needed.

The transformer was also not needed.

Old 12-17-17, 12:06 PM
Group Moderator
Install completed.
I'm guessing it's working ok ?

Old 12-18-17, 05:19 PM
J
Yes, the humidifier is working. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-20-17, 05:08 AM
G
PJmax, in searching I found this thread where you advise that a relay is needed:

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/h...hermostat.html

Just wondering how this humidifier install in this thread is different. I have the Honeywell H360A1075 humidifier as well, and recently installed my Ecobee4. I am about to install the humidifier, and in looking at the literature have figured that I need to wire the same way the Aprilair is wired here. One wire from the ACC+ terminal at the stat to one wire of the humidifier, and then one wire from the C terminal at the furnace to the other wire of the humidifier. Why would the install in the other thread require a relay? Same humidifier as I have and same Ecobee4, should be simple one wire install (as defined in the Ecobee instruction manual), no?

Old 12-20-17, 07:21 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Many humidifiers have a 120v plug that gets plugged in to run the internal fan. Some of those humidifiers require 24vac on the two connecting leads to make it operate. Some of those humidifiers have their own 24vac transformer built in and in that case.... when you short the two connecting wires.... the unit turns on.

Make sure the wires coming out of the humidifier aren't connected to the furnace.
Short them together...... if the unit runs.... you need a relay. If it doesn't run.... it can be wired directly from the ACC+ terminal and C on the furnace.

Old 12-21-17, 05:12 AM
G
Ok, thank you for the reply. It's still confusing as I have the same model # humidifier and it has a 120v plug, two red leads and two yellow. I'll plug it in tonight and short the two yellow leads together. I'm assuming (from how everyone else has wired it to the Ecobee) that it will not turn on.

My confusion lies in the need for the relay if the unit powers on by shorting the leads at the humidifier. I thought the relay was built into the Ecobee. If the humidifier has one built in (it turns on when leads are shorted), you would connect to ACC+ and ACC- at the Ecobee, which closes the circuit when the set point for humidity is reached. If no relay built into the humidifier (which is the assumption), you get the 24v from the C terminal at the furnace, and only need the ACC+ connected at the Ecobee, which closes the 24v circuit. I guess I'll figure it out when I short the leads tonight to see if it turns on...

Old 12-21-17, 09:49 AM
Group Moderator
Yes...you can use the ACC+ and ACC- terminals as a dry contact but make darned sure the stat is programmed for that before connecting the humidifier or you can damage the stat.

I've always used a relay and have never tried using the two terminals in that way.

Old 12-21-17, 12:09 PM
G
Ok, thank you. I did just plug it into the wall and touched the leads and sure enough it did kick on. I then called Ecobee support and they said that the ACC+ and ACC- are on the stat for this type of humidifier. When you first hook up the humidifier the Ecobee4 will auto sense the connection you have and if both wires are hooked up (2-wire install vs 1-wire) it will use the ACC +/- as the contacts and close the circuit when humidity is called for. No external relay required.

Old 12-21-17, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
Cool.... thanks for the update.