Ecobee 3 + Honeywell HE150

Old 11-30-17, 12:52 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Ecobee 3 + Honeywell HE150

Hello there!

I was trying my hardest to look up as much info as possible on my situation and hopefully some of the knowledgeable people here would be able to give me a helping hand.

Background

I currently have an Ecobee 3 installed in my house. Since my thermostat wire previously only had 4 wires, I had to implement the usage of the PEK. Everything is fine and dandy but with the cold weather rolling in, I felt it was time to get around to installing a humidifier I bought last year. The model I bought was the Honeywell TrueEase HE150.

Situation

So my current situation I am in, is I need to figure out how to wire everything. There's tidbits of info here and there across forums but nothing concrete for me to simply go by. If someone could be kind enough to review my following plan, it would be highly appreciated:
  1. Install the humidifier as per instructions (only talking about physically getting it into place)
  2. I wanted to avoid using the transformer, so I was thinking of running wires from the terminals C and HUM (from Furnace Board) to my Power In 24V (from HE150). Does this sound like it should work? I am assuming this will give the humidifier its required power. Do correct me if I am wrong.
  3. Now that the humidifier has power, I would run two wires from the HUM terminals (from the HE150) to the ACC+ and ACC- terminals (from the Ecobee3)
  4. From there I would set up the ecobee to be externally powered and to evaporative humidifier.

Sound about right? Maybe I am just overthinking it, but I would highly appreciate any input. Thanks!

P.S. I have also contemplated doing the internally powered method, but I am just not sure where everything goes on that. (based on diagrams you run the C wire [from Furnace Board] to the Humidifier [doesn't state to which terminal] and another wire from Humidifier [doesn't state terminal again] to Ecobee3's ACC+)

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-17, 04:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,103 Votes on 1,023 Posts
If you only have fours wires from the stat to the furnace..... how do you plan on connecting the humidifier ?

The HE-150 requires continuous 24vac power so it needs to be connected to the R and C terminals. The HUM terminal is not used on the furnace. I would try the following diagram. I would recommend putting a 2A or 3A fuse in the R line to the humidifier during testing to ensure no shorts to the system/transformer. Be sure to set the Ecobee to one wire (ACC+) on setup.

Name:  HE 150_ecobee.JPG
Views: 561
Size:  30.4 KB

Old 12-01-17, 06:18 AM
D
Hey PJmax,

Thanks for the reply and I guess I should have clarified further.

My basement is unfinished and I will be running whatever extra wires are needed from the Thermostat -> Humidifier and Humidifier -> Furnace.

Another bit of info is my furnace is a Lennox ML195UH.

From a power standpoint, my furnace has a HUM terminal (Manual states its a 120VAC and I assumed you are able to use that to provide power to a humidifier? (I may have misunderstood its purpose and I could be entirely wrong)

Does that change anything?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-01-17, 10:52 AM
Group Moderator
The HUM terminal is only active when the burner is active.

As I mentioned..... that unit needs continuous 24vac. The HUM terminal will not supply that. The HUM terminal is used when you have a humidistat in line. In your case.... the Ecobee will be controlling the humidifier directly.

Old 12-01-17, 11:30 AM
D
Thanks for the clarification PJ.

I think to simplify things a touch, I may just go ahead and just install the transformer to my nearest outlet.

With the change in power source to being external now, would you be able to tell me which two terminals on the Humidifier need to be connected to ACC+ and ACC-?

Much appreciated!

Old 12-01-17, 05:20 PM
Group Moderator
W goes to ACC+ and C goes to ACC-
No connections at the furnace.

Old 12-22-17, 05:59 AM
D
Connected everything and all is good

Just to clarify and archive the info for anyone else looking at this in the future.

I ran a 18/5 thermostat wire to replace my old 18/4 wire, which allowed me to delete the PEK of the Ecobee.

I installed the 24V transformer to the nearest outlet and powered the humidifier that way.

I then ran a 18/2 wire from the humidifier to the Ecobee and connected it from the HUM terminals of the HE150 to the ACC+/ACC- terminals of the Ecobee.

Both dip switches were set to be in the off positions. Top one to the right and bottom one to the left.

The Ecobee did have to be reconfigured for equipment as the addition of the evaporative humidifier needed to be set up. Also under system I selected my desired humidity and everything ran without a hitch.

Thanks again for all the help!

Old 12-22-17, 04:01 PM
Group Moderator
You're welcome and thanks for the updated information.
Always good to hear a project was completed satisfactorily.