Humidifier clogged with yellow gooey substance

Old 12-18-17, 11:20 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Humidifier clogged with yellow gooey substance

I have a Lennox system with a built in power humidifier. We have well water, no water treatment systems. House and well are 17 years old, never had an issue with my furnace humidifier. Service folks replaced the filter in the humidifier 3 months ago ahead of the winter season. This morning woke up to water on the floor as the humidifier filter was clogged with a yellow substance. Furnace folks say itís the water yet no where else in the house is ther a water issue (clogged faucet, smell, discolor,etc). Going to have the water tested, but any ideas or similar experiences?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-17, 05:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's not really a filter. It's called media. It's a composition that soaks up and holds water for the hot air to blow thru. A continuous stream of water washes over it to remove minerals. A clogged media screen shouldn't cause a problem but I'm guessing that "goo" clogged the drain tube.

I have never seen or heard of a problem like that before. A yellow substance could indicate sulfur. It seems that maybe it reacted with the media.

Old 12-19-17, 04:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 629 Votes on 581 Posts
Clean it. I have seen the yellow snot in humidifiers and in condensate tanks. I'm guessing it's some type of bacteria. As far as I know it's not harmful but it does clog and gunk things up. Cleaning every 5+ years has been enough to keep it under control.

Old 12-25-17, 05:41 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Pilot Dane. What are you cleaning out every 5 years? I bought a new media and cleaned out the humidifier unit, did you do something with the water supply? Thanks