General Aire 1042 Leaking

Old 12-28-17, 04:03 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
General Aire 1042 Leaking

Hey guys,

Looking for some help. Recently replaced the pads on both of my humidifiers a couple months ago (have two furnaces in the house).

With winter in full force now and the humidifiers doing some extra duty as a result, one of them has started leaking badly. Water basically dripping out the sides and forming a huge pool of water.

I thought maybe I installed the pad wrong so pulled it out and compared to the other one and all looked fine. When I pulled off the hose and blew into it, I'm wondering if something is gunked up near the end as I can't blow right through. Now the hose is about 8-10 feet and angled up near the end so thinking maybe calcium build up?

Also wondering if I need to redo all the hoses on the furnace and humidifiers. Right now they were all bunched up at the drain and also cause a puddle at the drain as there is simply too much flow for that drain given the hoses do not go right into it.

But the drain cover is cemented on from the looks of it.

Thoughts?
Pics attached...

Attached Images      
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-17, 04:31 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clogged tube I think was definitely the issue. Pulled it off and blew hard and air just barely got through to the other end. Finally managed to blow a bunch of slimy gunk out of it and now air gets through just fine.

Have to imagine it was due to the installer cutting the pieces so short and they were curved upwards so water likely sitting for ages and creating buildup.

Will see if that alleviates things in the shirt term.

Long term, ideally I would like to have the tubing going right into the drain, is there a somewhat "elegant" solution to do this outside of breaking the drain cover and replacing the hoses and shoving the new ones into the open drain? Also concerned about not having a drain cover to prevent larger debris from entering it.

Thx

Old 12-28-17, 07:14 AM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
On my furnace, both the A/C condensate and the humidifier water soft plastic are piped into a 3/4" PVC pipe that I ran across the floor to the drain. There's a total of about 15' of the PVC piping. Never had an issue, but I do blow out the lines every year with compressed air.

Old 12-28-17, 10:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
The water that is draining from the humidifier is full of a lot of minerals. It's important to clean the pan at the bottom of the humidifier as well as the drain hose. A little bit of bleach and warm water will help.