Aprilaire 700 not humidifying: solenoid issues ?

Old 01-01-18, 06:43 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 700 not humidifying: solenoid issues ?

In the middle of December I replaced the water panel on my Aprilaire 700, as well as cleaned the in-line filter and inspected the orifice (which was clear), per the annual servicing recommendation. I put everything back together and it worked just fine. (I did this between the seasons last year as well with no issues.) Then I went out of town for a week over Christmas and when I came back the humidifier wasn't adding humidity anymore. Today I opened it up and found I had put the water panel holder in backwards, and I thought that must have been the problem (even though it had been working fine before I left), however air was still not coming out more humid than it went in after putting the panel in the right way.

The fan is running. I believe the solenoid is opening because I hear a click when the humidifier is activated. A small amount of water is draining, and is cool. Hot water is being supplied. I tricked it into thinking it was closed so I could see if water was coming in and spreading out over the water panel, and I couldn't really see it, so I was worried water was not coming in to the unit itself somehow, but when I tried running it again (all closed up) I saw some draining, and when I touch the top of the water panel holder after removing it just after turning it off, it feels warm, so I think water is getting in. So, if hot water is going in (pretty sure, otherwise where would the draining water be coming from?), if the water panel is in the right way now, the furnace blower is activating when the humidifier turns on, and the humidifier fan is running, what would stop the humidifier from humidifying?

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-18, 08:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,103 Votes on 1,023 Posts
There isn't too much to go wrong. Usually the discharge water is warm coming out the drain line as it's washing over the media. Have you confirmed the media is actually wet ?

Old 01-02-18, 08:16 AM
P
Is the media the water panel? Iíd so itís definitely dripping when I take it out, but I canít tell you for sure itís wet since itís not early to see in between all the parts or touch it to check out. Suggestions on how to confirm? And if itís not getting wet what would I try to fix it?

Old 01-06-18, 09:26 AM
P
Exclamation Solenoid Valve Troubleshooting Confusion

I’ve been having issues with my Aprilaire 700 humidifier, and I think I’ve narrowed it down to the solenoid valve. I found a video for troubleshooting the issue where no water is draining from the humidifier, and it directed testing of the water flow coming in (which is GREAT), the voltage to the solenoid (will get to that later), and the water flow leaving the solenoid. The water is coming out of the solenoid valve VERY slowly, sometimes at a dribble, sometimes a little more, but nowhere near the way it's being fed in. That seems like a solenoid valve problem.

So back to the voltage. First off, I DO hear a click when the humidistat powers on the humidifier. Does the fan click when it comes on, or is that click definitely the solenoid? It sorta sounds like it might be coming from the fan. Anyways, I borrowed a friends multimeter and it has little pointy ends instead of the hook kind, and I'm not sure I'm getting good contact, but never have I been able to read 24 volts, which is concerning (I have found videos that mention that could be an issue with the humidistat, and that troubleshooting for that is in another video, but I can't find any troubleshooting videos for that). I think I'm testing it at the right place, I can't test at the wires that go into the solenoid themselves because they go up inside the humidifier and connect to some other stuff (a plug that closes the circuit only when the fan side of the humidifier is securely closed and also connects to power the fan), so I'm testing where the wires inside the humidifier come back out and connect to the humidistat. It does seem like this should still have 24 volts though. Anyways, since the fan gets turned on, and the fan appears to be wired in with the solenoid, would the fan go on if there wasn't enough voltage? And would ANY water come out of the solenoid if the voltage were low? Like, could low voltage result in the solenoid only opening a little bit, and thus only allowing a dribble of water through? Or is the solenoid valve all-or-nothing and the dribble indicates that the solenoid is getting enough power but is possibly blocked/clogged? I read that you can also check that the solenoid is working by putting your screwdriver or something up to it and if it's attracted, then the solenoid is getting power. I felt my wrench magnetically attracted, but kinda weakly, which leads me to the same question, does the solenoid do anything if it doesn't get the full 24v? Would I not feel any magnetic pull if the voltage wasn't sufficient?

In addition to my questions above, I'm hoping someone can point me to a video on troubleshooting if it is indeed an issue with the voltage going to the solenoid. Everything else seems to be working fine with the humidistat, and when the solenoid puts out the more-than-a-dribble (but less than sufficient) amount of water I do get some water draining through the drain tube, but it doesn't last, and humidity in my home doesn't increase. I think I'm honing in on the problem but I'm stuck on whether it's the solenoid valve (which I can easily replace) or if a new valve would have the same problem because it's actually an issue with the voltage to the solenoid.

Thanks!!

Last edited by polycat33; 01-06-18 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-06-18, 10:04 AM
P
Turns out the water panel is not getting enough water, I took off the hose at the outlet side of the solenoid and compared to the inlet side the water is barely coming through, so it definitely isn't covering the water panel sufficiently. This is clearly it, now I just need to figure out if the solenoid needs replacing or if it's a voltage issue.

Old 01-06-18, 02:17 PM
P
Update: I was testing the voltage wrong, womp womp. Using the DC instead of the AC dial setting. I got 24 volts at both the solenoid and the humidistat, so that means that the solenoid is getting 24vac and is likely the culprit/reason water isn't getting to the panel, right?

Old 01-06-18, 04:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,103 Votes on 1,023 Posts
I combined your threads. I keep one topic container in one thread.

You should measure near 24vac at the solenoid.

How did you measure voltage at the humidistat ? If you measured across the humidistat.... there should be 24vac when the h'stat is not calling for humidity. When the h'stat is calling for humidity... the two wires are dead shorted and you'll measure 0v.

How is the 1/4" water line connected to the main water line ?
If it's a bolt-on saddle type valve...... replace it. They constantly plug causing issues. Many times they can be cleaned by fully closing the valve hard and then reopening it. You could try that.