Water waste with bypass humidifier

Old 01-02-18, 12:04 PM
Exclamation Water waste with bypass humidifier

My house had an existing General Aire 1042-L humidifier installed when we moved in. The manufacture date is very hard to read, but I'm pretty sure it is July 15 2005 (Not sure on the last digit) I replaced the pad after we moved in but it sounded like a lot of water was going to the floor drain so I didn't use it the first year out of concern for water waste.

This year I installed an Ecobee and could see the humidity inside go down to 23% so I turned on the humidifier and watched it increase to 32% over the next few hours. I got inspired and rewired it so the Ecobee was controlling it and set it to a desired humidity of 36%. I've not hit that in over a week, but it has been below 0 F at night so it may not be able to achieve that level of humidity.

Now that I can see just how often it is running, I'm back to being concerned about water waste. I removed the drain hose from the clamps and put it into a bucket. In 15 minutes of runtime it discharged 1.75 gallons of water, putting it on track for 7.5 GPH. According to the manual I could find for the 1042 series, this should be 3.5 GPH and I don't even have the water turned all the way on as I was trying to be conservative. As it is, I have the water supply turned on until I just started hearing water come out of the discharge hose.

Even though this is around 15 years old, does this seem like an excessive amount of water? Would a more recent model bypass humidifier have less water waste? Yesterday the furnace had a total runtime of 9.5 hours, so I used around 71 gallons of water.

Am I being unreasonable to be concerned?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-18, 03:10 PM
I didn't get a reply so I kept investigating. The orifice in the existing fitting seemed larger compared to pictures of replacements, so I went ahead and ordered a new orifice and strainer assembly. The hole in mine was much larger, so I'm guessing the previous owners had drilled it out, maybe to clear out a clog.

I have the new one in and just waiting for the humidity to dip again so I can see how much of a difference it made

Name:  o1.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  86.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-11-18 at 04:18 PM. Reason: added pic from link
Old 01-11-18, 04:16 PM
Group Moderator
The board will resize slightly larger pictures but not large phone pictures which can be gigantic in pixel count and file size.
This explains it in a little more detail... How-to-insert-pictures

Sorry about no reply. There have been hundreds of no heat threads.

Yes.... that is too much water consumption and that old orifice looks like it was reamed out. The new one should use much less water. You just want a very small stream coming out of the drain tube. Turning the water supply down before the solenoid can cause problems as the water pressure is what closes the valve.

You will probably not get to 36% at 0F outside temps. You don't need or want to be that high anyway as it will start to condense on the windows, anything metal and possibly inside wall cavities.

I'm always adjusting my humidifier. I keep it set to just come on based on present humidity levels. My humidity runs around 30% and seems to be very effective. My house was built in 1959 so it is not very weather tight. The more cold air infiltration you have the harder it is to maintain higher humidity levels. The cold air literally sucks up the moisture.

Old 01-12-18, 07:23 AM
I know the Ecobee has Frost Control, but I don't understand the Window Efficiency setting. I have Energy Star double pane window, so I set it to pretty high and then just didn't enable Frost Control anyway.

The sticky post on this sub-forum doesn't have the same photo instructions as you provided. Can you update that?

Old 01-12-18, 10:00 AM
Group Moderator
Photo attaching updated......