Nest Thermostat 3rd Gen + Aprilaire 224 Wiring

Old 02-08-18, 08:34 PM
Nest Thermostat 3rd Gen + Aprilaire 224 Wiring

Hi, I just placed an order for a Nest thermostat to replace my old non-smart thermostat and Manual HUM stat. I did some researching but I cannot find the solution to the current HUM wiring to connect to the Nest when it arrives. I will provide as much details as I can.

Here's a diagram of the current manual-HUM wiring:

This is the Electronic Relay (ER):

In the service manual of my HUM Aprilaire 224 I found this diagram of what the ER is attached to. Also, this diagram wiring does NOT match with what the current wiring diagram above (weird) that I followed.

At the humidistat, there are two wires connected to it, RED and WHITE wire. When I turn the knob on the humidistat I hear a click-sound(CS) and another CS when I turn it backwards. The CS is always heard whether the furnace is running or not. BUT I do also hear a CS coming somewhere from the furnace (I assume its the ER) when the furnace is running.

So my first question is, how do I connect to the Nest (*) with the two RED and WHITE wire from the Humidistat?

2nd question, can I just connect the unused BLUE wire thats coiled around the HVAC wiring to the HVAC "C" on motherboard to have it active? I want to connect the C wire to the nest. The current HVAC wiring to the Thermostat is not using a "C" wire.

Current HVAC wire to the Non-smart thermostat:

Here's a video of the HVAC wiring too: (Video is still processing as of 11:33 PM EST, but its available for download)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OXw...ew?usp=sharing

Thank You!!

Last edited by KoG506; 02-08-18 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Picture
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-18, 10:08 PM
Disregard, it has been solved.

Old 02-09-18, 10:16 PM
Group Moderator
Very good. I was waiting for pictures.

Old 03-20-18, 07:00 AM
Would you please explain what it was you did, or how you wired the Aprilaire and the Thermostat with the Nest 3rd Gen? I'm unable to see any of your pictures so I cannot confirm my wiriing matches yours, unfortunately. However, I have a Black and a White wire on my humidistat.

Thanks,
Troy

Old 03-20-18, 11:24 AM
Group Moderator
Wlcome to the forums.

There are dozens of threads here with Nest to Aprilaire connections.

You are trying to connect your Aprilaire to the nest. One solenoid wires connect to C at the furnace board. The other solenoid wire goes to the * terminal. That's it. There is nothing else inline. You will no longer use that humidistat. The colors or the wires from the humidifier to the nest don't matter. Since this is AC... there is no polarity.

Name:  NEST_BASIC.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  4.6 KB