Aprilaire 800 + EcoBee Wiring Help Needed

Old 02-11-18, 07:20 PM
Question Aprilaire 800 + EcoBee Wiring Help Needed

Hi everyone!

I just installed an Aprilaire 800 steam humidifier (ran 240v into it), and I'm confused on how exactly to wire it to my EcoBee 3 on the upper level.

My Lenox ML193UH (single stage, I think) furnace's control board has a "HUM" terminal listed as "120vac". See the diagram provided below (it's on the upper left, currently capped off in the picture I took). Otherwise, there's the R/C/W/Y/G connections at the bottom (also shown in the picture provided).

I've seen some people use a relay, so I purchased a 6AUZ2 relay just in case. I'm also supplying a picture of the Ecobee's terminals.

My questions:
1) What kind of wire do I use from the humidifier to the control board?
2) What kind of wire do I use from the ecobee to the control board?
3) Where do I connect/hook those wires into?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-18, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Your humidifier requires a contact closure to activate. That means whether you use the HUM terminal or the ecobee... you need a relay as shown in the diagram. You can use your existing spare brown wire to the thermostat.

You could also wire the humidifier directly to the ecobee with no relay but that would require two spare wires to your ecobee. I don't see you have them.

Name:  800_ecobee.JPG
Views: 255
Size:  27.9 KB

Old 02-11-18, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by PJmax View Post
Welcome to the forums.

Your humidifier requires a contact closure to activate. That means whether you use the HUM terminal or the ecobee... you need a relay as shown in the diagram. You can use your existing spare brown wire to the thermostat.

You could also wire the humidifier directly to the ecobee with no relay but that would require two spare wires to your ecobee. I don't see you have them.

Attachment 90469
Thank you for the response!

Could you elaborate a little bit on your wiring suggestion. You said "You can use your existing spare brown wire to the thermostat." I don't see a spare brown wire. Also, would this be wired to the "ACC+" terminal on the thermostat as shown in your diagram?

You also said "That means whether you use the HUM terminal or the ecobee" - did you mean "the HUM terminal or the 6AUZ2 relay?

I bought some extra 18-5 thermostat wire, so I'm assuming I can use any of those individual wires to connect the humidifier to the relay?

Thanks for being patient!

Old 02-11-18, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by JWest99 View Post
Thank you for the response!

Could you elaborate a little bit on your wiring suggestion. You said "You can use your existing spare brown wire to the thermostat." I don't see a spare brown wire. Also, would this be wired to the "ACC+" terminal on the thermostat as shown in your diagram?

You also said "That means whether you use the HUM terminal or the ecobee" - did you mean "the HUM terminal or the 6AUZ2 relay?

I bought some extra 18-5 thermostat wire, so I'm assuming I can use any of those individual wires to connect the humidifier to the relay?

Thanks for being patient!
Disregard my question about the spare brown - I now see it wrapped around the cable. Making much more sense, now!

Old 02-11-18, 09:51 PM
Group Moderator
Ok..... I see you found the brown wire.

The wiring is pretty much like the diagram shows. You can use 18-5 for the wiring.
Just wrap the three extra wires like the brown was.... or strip it and use just what you need.

Old 02-12-18, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by PJmax View Post
Ok..... I see you found the brown wire.

The wiring is pretty much like the diagram shows. You can use 18-5 for the wiring.

Just wrap the three extra wires like the brown was.... or strip it and use just what you need.
Thanks!

Last question. On the diagram it shows "C on furnace control board". My question is: Do I unhook the C wire from the control board and connect it to the relay? Do I connect a second wire to the C on the control board (so now there are two C wires hooked into the control board). Or do I split the C wire so the existing wire connects to both the control board and the relay?

Thank you!

Old 02-12-18, 07:08 PM
Group Moderator
There is currently a blue wire on the furnace board. That stays where it is. You'll need to connect a second wire from there to your relay. Those terminals are setup to easily connect two wires.

Old 02-12-18, 08:49 PM
Thank you for all of the help, it appears to be working now! Per your advice I just ran another blue wire from the relay to the control board. Note: Someone else had taken the humidifier apart and mounted it for me, and I didn't realize there was a little switch that gets pressed when you put the front panel on. So, initially when I hooked it up and tried to get it to start, it would not.

Thanks again!

Old 02-12-18, 09:02 PM
Group Moderator
You're welcome. Good job.