Aprilaire 800 Canister Mineral Build Up - Normal?

Old 02-14-18, 06:01 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 800 Canister Mineral Build Up - Normal?

My newly installed humidifier has been running for a couple days now, and I noticed it started leaking.

I took off the panel and it appears there's mineral build up everywhere. Does this look normal for only a couple days worth of use?

It is connected to the hard water line instead of the soft water.

Old 02-14-18, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I don't service those often. I do know there is a lot of mineral buildup in the generation of steam but that unit should do a flush and clean it out. I'm guessing the residue you are seeing is from the leak. Have you found what's lekaing and tried to fix it ?

Old 02-14-18, 07:28 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can see in the picture the steam hose is coming off, so I'm sure that's where the leak was. I pulled it down further and re-tightened, so that should fix it. It sure looks like a ton of residue. I've heard of people who have to replace their canisters every 3 - 4 weeks, or people who clean them out with CLR and re-use them... Assuming the above is abnormal/excessive, I think I'm just going to plumb the soft water to it and use table salt to enhance conductivity if that's an issue... (as some reviewers mentioned).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: