Aprilaire 110 Humidifier Connecting to Nest 2nd Gen

Old 02-26-18, 09:57 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 110 Humidifier Connecting to Nest 2nd Gen

Hi forums. First, thanks in advance as always.

I'm working to connect my Aprilaire 110 to my Nest, 2nd Gen. mI reviewed a relevant thread (URL below) but I am tripped-up by the power supply to the Aprilaire, and if I need a relay.

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/h...humidstat.html

My Aprilaire model # suggests I have the "OLD" version of this humidifier. However, my power supply appears more like in the "NEW" version of the 110 - a standard 120VAC plug.

The output from the humidifier is red/white - one leading to the humidistat, the other to the furnace board - "HUM." There are two wires at the humidistat, the other leads to the "Common" on the furnace board.

Also, the power for the humidifier is plugged-in to a dual-outlet that is integrated into the furnace. I tested voltage and it is active and shows power only when the fan or heat is running.

Help on if I need a relay?

Let me know if more info - pics/diagram/etc. would help.

Thank you very much to this great group!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-18, 10:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,109 Votes on 1,029 Posts
The output from the humidifier is red/white - one leading to the humidistat, the other to the furnace board - "HUM." There are two wires at the humidistat, the other leads to the "Common" on the furnace board.
If this is exactly what you have now.... here's what you need to do.

Remove the two wires from the old humidistat and wire nut them together. Leave the wire currently on Common right where it is. Remove the other wire that is on the HUM terminal and connect it to the nest * terminal.

Old 02-27-18, 05:39 AM
C
Thank you pjmax! I think I can manage this. I have a few pigtailed connections near the furnace I could swap/rewire to achieve this, preventing me to feed a new wire up to the Nest for the "*" connection. I don't have an extra up there, but I should be able to fish the humidistat wire over to the Nest for the "*" connection.

Any issues with power supply or need for a relay?

Old 02-27-18, 10:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,109 Votes on 1,029 Posts
The power supply is the transformer in the furnace. Most use a 40va transformer and have no problems with the additional solenoid connected.

If you knew for a fact that your furnace could not supply the needed current for the solenoid.... then you would use an additional transformer and relay.

Old 02-27-18, 01:29 PM
C
Thank you for your help. I managed to install successfully!

I was able to actually re-route the existing wires between the humidifier and the humidstat to the Nest. I moved the "HUM" on the furnace to "Common" on the furnace board, which now connects to Common on the Nest. I then rerouted the other previous humidistat wire to the "*" on the Nest. Success thus far, and this avoided me fishing a new wire, other than a short/manageable distance between the old humidistat and the Nest.

Hope this seems sensible and correct.

Appreciate the help.