Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Aprilaire 550

04-13-18, 08:32 AM   #1  
Aprilaire 550

Last month my water bill was $440! I tracked down the culprit and discovered by furnace humidifier was running a full and steady stream of water through the humidifier anytime the furnace ran. Doesn't matter what setting I use on the humidity control, if it's "on" it is shooting water through in a strong steady stream. I'm thinking the solenoid has failed, but wanted to see if those more experienced agree or if there is something else I should be looking at.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

04-13-18, 04:46 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums.

If the flow stops when the furnace is not running..... then it's wired incorrectly.
If it was the solenoid.... it would never stop running... even with the wiring disconnected.

~ Pete ~

04-15-18, 08:27 AM   #3  
Wired wrong?

I haven't messed with the wiring. The humidifier was installed with the furnace and has worked properly for many years prior to this past winter. When the humidifier is "on" and the furnace kicks on, the flow into the evaporator is a strong steady stream like an ice maker hose disconnected from the refrigerator.

PA

Yesterday, 06:31 AM   #4  
Did you check to make sure that the yellow orfice is still installed at the solenoid valve outlet and was not removed at the last cleaning/service. Check your installation or service manual for clarity.

Today, 07:58 AM   #5  
I have not checked that. I did see that listed in the parts diagram. The line has never been taken apart in at least 15 years. I wondered if the yellow orifice might have deteriorated and was going to take the line off and look when some said it was probably the solenoid. Do you know is that a piece that over the years might have broken down? Would that be enough to change the water feeding from a drip to a steady stream? If so, I'll order a replacement and tear into it.

Search this Thread