Dehumidifier Not Collecting Water

Old 05-14-18, 09:16 AM
Dehumidifier Not Collecting Water

Hi,

I have a LG dehumidifier (LD451EDL), it runs but not collecting water.
Humidity in the basement is 70%, temperatue is 68. Humidity on the dehumidifier is set to 45%.
Radiator grill is clean free of any dust. It appears that humidifier runs, fan is running there is no indication of any problem but it does not collect water.

I opened up the dehumidifier and tested the capacitor (followed the youtube video) and capacitor seems to be fine.

I checked the continuity of the three electrical cables going into the compressor.

Can someone guide me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-18, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
How old is the unit? It is not uncommon for them to die after several years. Repair is often not economical and it's better to get a new one.

Old 05-14-18, 06:23 PM
Group Moderator
You need to verify the compressor is running. It will usually be hot. Then you need to check the evaporator coil which is the one in front behind the filter. That coil should be ice cold.

If the compressor is warm/hot and that coil is not cold... you've lost the refrigerant to a leak.
A very common problem.

Old 05-15-18, 08:08 AM
we bought the house lat year and dehumidifier came with the house. I guess it may be 5-6 years old. Its looks new and clean.

Old 05-15-18, 08:15 AM
I will check the compressor later tonight again tonight and post back. As far as I remember,i checked the radiator grill and it was not cold.

does it worth to go through the steps of refilling the gas (R410A) or might as well buy the new one.?
I did not see any connection to refill the gas into it?

Old 05-15-18, 09:27 AM
Group Moderator
Most window AC units and portable dehumidifiers do not have ports for checking or filling the refrigerant making servicing difficult and more expensive. They can sometimes be added but it's cost prohibitive. In my town an HVAC service call is $85-$100. Then refrigerant or any parts are on top of that so you very quickly can equal the cost of buying a new one.

Old 05-15-18, 10:29 AM
If I have to go for new one, any recommendations would be much appreciated.
I live in NJ. Generally, Lowes is my goto store, I also have $20 coupon.

Old 05-15-18, 11:35 AM
Group Moderator
I like my Frigidaire. It is quiet and has been working well for over a year now.

Old 05-15-18, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
Don't ask me how they do it but dehumidifiers seem to have a life expectancy of five years.
The aluminum coils corrode thru and the refrigerant escapes.

I have a Friedrich unit.

There is a catch to many of the new models.

In the past..... when dehumidifying was called for.... the fan and compressor turned on and off at the same time. With many of the newer models..... the fan runs continuously and the compressor cycles on and off. Some may not like to hear the fan always running.

My Friedrich was the new type where the fan runs all the time. I added a switch in it to select when the fan runs.