Dehumidifier failures; runs off same circuit as furnance

Old 06-04-18, 12:36 PM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Dehumidifier failures; runs off same circuit as furnance

These are stand alone 70 pint units, no connection to any central system.

I have had THREE Frigidaire 70 pint Dehumidifier failures in seven years. Right now I will be on my fourth model. The only good thing (if you can say that) is Frigidaire's five year sealed system warranty. Most others are either three year or just one. Looking thru the reviews of this and others, I'm surprised at all of the failures posted, all brands. Some dying after only a few months.

What as happened to the first three is the blower starts, but the compressor does not.
NO, it's not a dirty filter, the wrong setting or a overfilled water resoviour. All three times it appears to be a circuit board (electronic) failure. The board does not call for a compressor start. I have unplugged the unit, waited a few minutes plugged back in again and no difference. The compressors never kick in, just the blower even using a 'continuous' setting.

This is located in a unfinished relative clean basement. It doesn't get moved, it sits on a level platform a few inches off the floor. It's always plugged in. Unlike the two air conditioners I have, one is four years and the other is ELEVEN years old, they work fine. They are all Frigidaire.

It just came to me what MAY be a remote cause (somehow). This is on the same line (breaker) that the gas furnace is on. Neither run at the same time, nor even in the same season.

I'm wondering on a long shot, could there be a issue with the furnace cycling when the dehumidifier is not being used? Not necessary voltage spikes, but some type of interference from the furnace electronics or even the blower starting/stopping.

It never occurred to me to disconnect the dehumidifier in it's off season which I will do with the new one. Current draw when off (standby) is a EPA under 1 watt which is why I just left it connected.

I should add, I do use a drain hose and it is routed properly, no issue draining.

Any and all input is welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-18, 08:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,114 Votes on 1,034 Posts
I've switched over to Friedrich units.

If the compressor isn't starting it's most likely a defective relay or more commonly bad solder on the compressor relay.

Old 06-05-18, 03:23 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
That on THREE different units?

Old 06-05-18, 08:25 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Time to start getting better dehumidifiers.. Therma-stor or Apriaire