Multiple small dehumidifers vs one big dehumidifer

Old 06-23-18, 09:36 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Multiple small dehumidifers vs one big dehumidifer

I have 3 floors (1 being a furnished basement) in my small townhome. I would say each floor is about 70 square feet. If I were to get a dehumidifier, would it be an overkill to buy one big expensive one with big water tank or will it work to buy multiple small ones and place them at multiple spots. It looks like I will be saving upfront cost by buying multipe small ones. I'm thinking I'll buy one small one, and then if that doesn't pull enough moisture, then I'll buy another small one, and place it at another spot on the floor.

Another question is does a dehumidifer pull mositure better if you place it low instead of high, or it doesn't matter?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-18, 12:03 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi 88, just passing by but wanted to add some of the typical questions, like where are you. Frequently the outside humidity is controlling what you deal with inside so some air sealing might be a good step.

I assume you are not running any ac?

And, did you really mean 70 ft² for each of 3 floors? That's a total of 210 ft² and makes it difficult to judge dehumidifier size.

Bud

Old 06-24-18, 04:47 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 629 Votes on 581 Posts
I don't know what "big" dehumidifier you were considering but first I would double check your room size. 70 square feet sounds way too small. If it is that small then you probably be looking for the smallest compressor style dehumidifier you can find. I assume the small dehumidifiers you were looking at are peltier style. They work but they consume more power than a compressor type dehumidifier.

Old 06-24-18, 08:08 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm in Maryland so I think humidity is certainly not as bad as Florida, but as you assumed, yes, I am living with no AC this summer. My home is about 2000sq feet. I think this sq footage covers all three floors. If I buy a dehumidifer like (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arctic-Ki...AE7N/320920594), and if place it in the ground floor, can it take care of all my three floors? Or will each floors need a separate dehumdifier?

Old 06-24-18, 08:36 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
You will need one for each floor. Even though theoretically humidity will balance out throughout an enclosed area a water source like a sump pit will be higher humidity than the surrounding area. Only a central dehumidifier (A/C) will handle multiple floors.

Old 06-24-18, 09:38 AM
A
Received 81 Votes on 75 Posts
Living with no air conditioning this summer? Do you mean you don't have an A/C ,or is it out of order, or do you choose not to use it?

A dehumidifier is the same thing as an A/C except that the heat pulled out of the air going through the cooling (evaporator side) coils is discharged back into the same room via the compressor side coils resulting in little overall temperature change.

If you already have A/C you might as well (fix it if needed and) use it instead of buying dehumidifiers. Correction, you may need one small dehumidifier for the basement if the temperature down there is and is to remain somewhat less than upstairs.

Old 06-24-18, 09:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
A dehumidifier is the same thing as an A/C except that the heat pulled out of the air going through the cooling (evaporator side) coils is discharged back into the same room via the compressor side coils resulting in little overall temperature change.
Absolutely but since there is no 100% efficiency..... the dehumidifier creates heat. The room(s) will become fairly warm from the discharged heat.

Old 06-24-18, 11:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 629 Votes on 581 Posts
If you look at the power consumption of the dehumidifier that wattage is how much it will heat the space. You'll have to figure out if lowering the humidity is worth the extra heat.

Have you considered a window or portable air conditioner? While more expensive than a dehumidifier an AC unit will both cool and lower the humidity. If you look at a portable AC only consider those having dual hoses as they are much more efficient but they start at about $400.