Dehumidifier and Extension Cord

Old 08-23-18, 06:28 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dehumidifier and Extension Cord

Hi Folks,

I just purchased a 70 pint dehumidifier with built in pump (Frigidaire FFAP7033T1). Due to limitations in the basement, there is only one spot I can place the dehumidifier. It comes with a 6ft long power cord. The only outlet that I can plug it into is 9ft away. The instruction manual says "do not use with an extension cord". Does anyone know why it would say that? I was looking to purchase a 5ft, 12 gauge extension cord. The stats on the dehumidifier say "Amps (cool) 6.7 / Watts (cool) 745 / Voltage Rating 115v 60Hz / Plug Type 5-15P".

Is there any reason why I couldn't use a short, heavy duty 12 gauge extension cord for this?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-18, 06:52 AM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
Extension cords are for temporary use, such as a shop vac, handheld drill or grinder, etc., and a dehumidifier is an appliance, so not a temporary application. The right way to do it in my opinion would be to extend the circuit in order to add a receptacle, assuming that circuit is sufficient, or otherwise add a circuit.

Old 08-23-18, 07:14 AM
J
Thanks for the reply Pedro. I have thought about adding another outlet, but the main reason I was hoping to avoid that is that the basement walls are all finished and were just professionally painted a month ago, plus the next closest outlet is fairly far away, so an electrician would probably need to make a bunch of holes to fish wires through. Cost is another factor. The dehumidifier would be running for approx 6 months per year. I know the danger of using a thinner gauge wire or a cord that's too long, but I was hoping that a short, 5ft heavy duty cord would be safe. Would you really consider that dangerous?

Old 08-23-18, 10:17 AM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
Would I consider that dangerous? I guess not necessarily, at least not in and of itself. But itís the aspects of an extension cord that raise the potential of becoming dangerous. First is the potential of physical damage to the cord. Then there is the factor of an additional plugged connection laying on the floor in an obviously damp or at least humid environment. On the other hand, people use and abuse extension cords for a lot of applications. So, in my opinion, itís not as much the immediate danger as it is the potential for danger. But the fact that youíre asking leads me to believe that you are already thinking of and accessing the potentials. I wouldnít do it, but there are many who have and continue to do it without incident. Iíd still look at the possibility of extending or adding a circuit and you may be surprised at what a few specialty tools in the right hands can do with little or minimal clean up.

Old 08-23-18, 10:54 AM
J
You make many valid points. I actually have an electrician coming to the house tomorrow for something completely different, but I will ask him about adding an additional outlet.
Just to clarify though, the basement is a finished basement and not very damp. The extension cord would be running along a wall, out of the way of foot traffic. Obviously, I'd prefer not to have to use an extension cord, so hopefully the electrician can give me some good news tomorrow. Thanks aka Pedro!