Bypasses current Humidistat to be used by ecobee

Old 09-26-18, 09:48 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bypasses current Humidistat to be used by ecobee

Hello,
I've read quite a few threads on here and also contacted ecobee support (not much help at all). Seems some people on here know a lot more than Ecobee, lol. I currenty have a home humidification system, but the control is down on the HVAC unit itself. I would prefer to let ecobee control it if possible.

If I've read up correctly, I think I just need to connect the unused ACC+ wire from the thermostat to what is currently the wire that goes from the humidifier into the Humidistat control board. Assuming that is correct, I am not sure what I should do with all the old legacy wiring that runs from the Humidistat to the HVAC board as well as some unknown wires that run up into the finished ceiling and I'm not sure what the do. Any help is greatly appreciated! I have attached a diagram of what I know is wired up and where.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-18, 09:52 AM
D
Uploaded a jpg for better attachment

Attached Images  
Old 09-26-18, 09:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I would disconnect the humidistat from the system. If you don't want to do that..... just disconnect the R wire and cap it. The h'stat will be dead.

You show your humidifier with a red and white wire. One wire needs to go to C of the furnace control board. The other wire goes to the ACC+ on the Ecobee. There will be nothing else in the humidifier line.

Old 09-27-18, 06:00 AM
D
Thanks for the help! That makes sense. How about the Green wire that currently runs from the thermostat and is bundled to the Green wire that comes off of the Humidistat? Should that just be hooked up the G-->G from the thermostat directly to the furnace control board?

Old 09-27-18, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
Yes............................... definitely.

Old 10-31-18, 07:14 PM
D
This is working now, but not the way I would like it to. The humidifier only runs when the heat is being called for. I realize this is by design for ecobee, but I am 99% sure it used to run with the fan only. As of now, it is not enough to keep up.

Is there a way to wire this up so it will run with the fan? It is an evaporative humidifier with hot water supply. The house is energy efficient and only 4 years old. The old humidistat was able to keep up. We cannot get the humidity level above 32%. I can boil a pot of water to raise it up, but it's right back when within 24 hours.

I have changed the ecobee setting to say it is a steam humidifier, but it operates the same and only activates during a call for heat.

Tia

Old 10-31-18, 08:49 PM
Group Moderator
The house is energy efficient and only 4 years old.
If that is the case...... you should not require that much additional humidification.
It's air infiltration that causes the need for added humidification.

I didn't think the E3 would allow the humidifier to call for fan. I saw this in the programming manual.
Give it a try. Otherwise the E3 doesn't allow the humidifier to call for fan.

Name:  eco.JPG
Views: 377
Size:  31.2 KB