Connecting Aprilaire 500m, Nest Gen 3, and Carrier Furnace

Old 10-09-18, 07:00 PM
Connecting Aprilaire 500m, Nest Gen 3, and Carrier Furnace

First off, I want to say that in the last few days, I've poured over a lot of material from this site, and I really appreciate the feedback and the questions this community has offered. All this information has gotten me to this current point where I think I know what I'm supposed to do.

I want to connect my Aprilaire 500m to my Nest so that I can have my humidifier controlled automatically. I currently have a Carrier Furnace, model 58STA090-14.

With the mentioned setup, please correct or confirm the following:
  1. Relay and transformer is not needed.
  2. I can connect one wire from the solenoid valve to "*" on the Nest.
  3. I can connect last wire from solenoid valve to "C" on controller board in furnace.

I have other questions, however.
  1. Would connecting the system via the above decrease the life of my equipment?
  2. Why does the humidifer and Nest information suggest the use of a relay?
  3. What are the pros/cons for using the above method to connect the humidifier to Nest?

I've attached a picture of my controller, and thermostat. Thanks in advance!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-18, 08:58 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

You will need an additional wire to the * terminal. Are you going to run a new cable ?
Many humidifiers are self powered and require a contact closure (relay) to operate. Yours doesn't.
Connecting it off the furnace board is fine and will not shorten any equipment life.

Old 10-10-18, 05:27 AM
There's an extra green and yellow cable not being used that goes from my thermostat to the furnace. You can't see it in the thermostat picture but it's on the controller board picture wrapped around the brown cable on the lower left corner. I thought I could use one of those two cables to connect to * on my Nest and then run a new one cable to the solenoid cable

Since I also thought I needed to connect the other solenoid cable, I would need to also use a new cable to connect right to the common wire on the controller board, right?

I included a quick paint drawing I made. This is what you mean, correct? I'm basically extending the current cables that run to the furnace, and extending it a bit further to the humidifier.

Attached Images  

Last edited by GreenNewbie; 10-10-18 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-10-18, 09:21 AM
Group Moderator
Yes.... your diagram is correct.

Old 10-10-18, 07:15 PM
Thanks for confirming. Now I should have an easy project to complete!