Solenoid Valve issue

Old 11-15-18, 07:39 PM
P
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Solenoid Valve issue

Just installed humidifier and everything seems good, except the solenoid valve - makes insane high frequency noise and vibrates so intensely that everything around it and connected to it transfer the vibrations... EDIT: THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHEN the SV is in open position....everything is super quiet when the valve is closed.

I have determined that the noise is NOT electrical in nature - i.e. when activated I only shut off the water supply and it turned quiet ...so I am suspecting some issue with the water flow.

The only thing I did differently is that instead of using saddle valve to connect to the hot water supply - I installed a 1/2 PEX to 1/4 inch compression valve.
I thought that maybe the flow is too heavy (though not sure if that would make sense since it goes to the proper size 1/4 inch copper tube before it enters the solenoid valve.....and so I turned the valve to almost closed position but the solenoid valve would still make that noise.

Is it defective or is there some other possible issue ?

thanks!

Attached Images  

Last edited by PaulSC; 11-15-18 at 07:55 PM. Reason: edit pic
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-18, 07:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
That valve is much better than a saddle valve.
When in operation..... check and make sure there is actually 24vAC on the solenoid.

Old 11-15-18, 07:52 PM
P
yes .....every plumber says saddle valve are garbage.... so I figured I'd install this ball valve - which I know are WAY more reliable.

anyhow.... there is 24VAC for sure coming to the SV and the water is flowing as the valve opens....that's ONLY when that noise happens....once the valve closes - the SV is silent again..... shutting water at the Shark Valve also makes the solenoid valve quiet....but then of course I don't get water flowing....

Old 11-15-18, 08:34 PM
Group Moderator
There should be just a trickle of water coming out of the solenoid. There is a restrictor in the out side.

Old 11-17-18, 06:55 AM
P
yes - the volume of water flowing through the valve per se isn't the issue..... the issue is the insane noise / vibrations when the SV opens and the water flows through it.....
the problem happens only when the valve is opened and the water flows through it....the SV is silent (as it should) when in closed position or if I cut off the water source.... (i.e. the valve will open but no water will flow - this was my test to verify that the noise is NOT electronic in nature)

Old 11-17-18, 01:32 PM
Group Moderator
That is very strange. I've never witnessed that problem. The typical problem with them is that they won't shut off fully and drip water. If that's a new unit they should be able to give you just the solenoid.

Old 11-23-18, 12:37 PM
P
I took it apart, cleaned it and put it back.... first run - was quiet ....then the noise came back....has to be something to do with water flow..... ordered a new one...hope it will fix the issue