Dehumidifiers rusting out quickly

Old 11-17-18, 03:10 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dehumidifiers rusting out quickly

I had a GE brand 70 pint dehumidifier that rusted out and leaked in about 3 years. Had to replace it, bought a Frigidaire 70 pint. Its working now after 2 complete season however its going to suffer the same fate as the GE soon.... its rusting badly at the coils, the water discharge is rusty and the bucket is stained. I pulled the cover and it looks bad. I guess I am posting here out of frustration really, I don't think I can prevent this from happening.

Do you think I could wire brush the portion of the coils that have rusted and spray paint .... in hopes of slowing down the rust?

Are these things proned to rusting like this or do I have another issue with water getting to places its not supposed to?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-18, 03:13 PM
R
The parts that rust out are the sides of the coil, where some of the copper pass goes thru, not the fins themselves. I think its galvanized or something.... Its the exact location that rusted out on both dehumidifiers!!

Old 11-17-18, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 745 Votes on 700 Posts
That is indeed frustrating. I have seen newer appliances including window A/C's rust much quicker then their predecessors. It's not the coil..... although those corrode quickly too.... but the metal support frame and drip pan.

I bought a Friedrich dehumidifier and have not had that problem at all.

Old 11-17-18, 06:10 PM
R
Galvanic corrosion is probably whats happening ... the rust on the metal brackets is eating the u-shaped tubes that pass thru them.

Old 05-05-20, 04:14 AM
I'm bumping this because I'm sick of spending $250-350 on a new dehumidifier every 3 years. I bought a Frigidaire FFAD7033R1 because it has the top reviews and thought I was getting quality.... not so. Its dead after 3 years. Sure Frigidaire has a warranty, but it only covers the compressed system, and I have to pay for all the labor and to disassemble, inspect, install, and reassemble so that's not going to be worth while over buying a new unit, and Frigidaire knows it.

It's the galvanized metal strip where the copper expansion side tubes run thru on either side of the cooling fins that is rusted out same as every other one I've had.

Does anyone have any luck with coating them in a rust paint or maybe a corrosion inhibitor?

Old 05-05-20, 04:30 AM
Received 169 Votes on 154 Posts
It's true, these things are made super cheap. I have an old White-Westinghouse that's over 40 years old. Still running even if I let it ice over for weeks at a time. No rust on shell or parts.
FWIW... I just bought a HISENSE for my daughter's new home. Don't think there any better but I have not heard of any complaints about them. In your case I wonder if the water content may be contributing to the early failure.

Old 05-05-20, 04:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 745 Votes on 700 Posts
Just to repeat.......
I bought a Friedrich dehumidifier and have not had that problem at all.
Going on it's third year with no rust,

Old 05-10-20, 03:54 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Appliances that are made today are utter S**T garbage with the electronic controls that has under rated relays that have their contacts weld on therefore the compressor will not turn off unless power is cut to the unit.

I had (gave it to a friend who was tired of buying a new dehumidifier every year.) Whirlpool (made for Kenmore\Sears Model 106.639140) I believe it is from around 1973 my friend still has it and he has not had to buy a new dehumidifier for six years now.

They really don't make them like that anymore. I hate the fact that people toss them because they use too much energy.

How about all the wasted resources making a POS appliance and shipping it to the USA from overseas and then the landfill waste when that appliance fails and it will.

That is how I got that Whirlpool unit from the side of the road and all that was wrong with it is the fan motor needed oil. Look around and see if you can find an old made in the USA appliance.

Norm201 voted this post useful.