HE280 honeywell leaking at quick connect

Old 11-30-18, 09:23 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HE280 honeywell leaking at quick connect

I'm new to HVAC and Humidifiers, but I recently installed an HE280. Due to the way the hvac was installed, I had limited room to mount it. Ended up putting it on the return side, near the base of the unit.

I have everything connected, but when I went to turn on the water, there was a drip coming from the Quick Connect just before the solenoid. I thought maybe I didn't get it connected properly, so I re-seated it. Same problem.

Honeywell support was zero help. told me to exchange the whole thing.

Any suggestions on how to fix this or why it might be leaking? Really suprised they used a quick connect instead of a threaded fitting here.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-18, 08:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
I've never been a fan of any quick disconnect or push-in water fittings but most are reliable.

When you push the tubing into the fitting.... it needs to bottom out and it should be fairly hard to remove. It shouldn't slide out at all unless holding the locking collar in. They use a type of rubber o ring to seal and as far as I know.... it's not replaceable. Some of those solenoids are brass with a thread on quick release fitting that probably could be replaced with a threaded fitting.

I install Aprilaire units which all use the same solenoid with a threaded connection.
Honeywell has used several depending on age and model.

Old 12-01-18, 07:36 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pete,

Thanks for the info. It is, indeed, a brass fitting after the quick disconnect... as far as i can see, anyway. ( i had to install it in a very difficult to work on location).

Originally, I did feel like I bottomed out and couldn't pull the tube out at all without holding the locking collar it.

That said, I took some compressed air, blew out the fitting, and pressed the tube in very firmly this time. I haven't seen any leaks yet. Something must have been in the fitting causing a leak.

I would have gone with Aprilaire, but none of the local stores in my area carried any of them. Not too impressed with the honeywell at the moment. the Humidistat was flimsy and doesn't mount well, the instructions were pretty rough, and their customer service was (as many others have noted) less than desirable.

Thanks for the help!