wiring humidifier directly to furnace board

Old 12-16-18, 10:49 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wiring humidifier directly to furnace board

Came across this post but was unable to reply due to its age.

Wiring humidifier directly to furnace board

I am wiring a Aprilaire 600 humidifier into a York Affinity series heat pump furnace control board directly. I have chosen not to run the thermocouple to measure outdoor air temperature and have the humdistat set in manual mode per the instructions. I also have the blower switch on the humidistat set to off.

i have wired according to the wiring diagram provided by PJmax (4th post in previous thread) with W on the humidistat connected to W1 on the furnace control board. In this configuration the solenoid valve will not open when the furnace is running. I have also tried wiring to W2 with the same result. However, if I wire W to HUM on the furnace control board the valve will open when the furnace is not running or in test mode. The valve will shut when set to off. This is puzzling to me as it seems to indicated I have wired the solenoid valve correctly, however W1 and HUM are not seeming to provide the expected behavior.

Please help!

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited by PJmax; 12-16-18 at 11:11 AM. Reason: added diagram
Old 12-16-18, 11:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Here's the problem...... you have a dual fuel system. You furnace should only run in AUX mode and E mode. As a dual fuel system..... you need to use the proper thermostat and the heat pump and the furnace cannot run at the same time.

Since the heat pump does the bulk of your heating..... you could move the W wire to G on the furnace board.

Old 12-16-18, 11:34 AM
D
Thanks for the quick reply. Im confused what you mean by dual fuel, the house has no natural gas and is all electric. I believe the system is capable of providing supplemental electrical heat in the situation the heat pump cant provide adequate heating. Does you previous comments still apply?

Thanks again,
Scott

Old 12-16-18, 11:38 AM
Group Moderator
When I think of furnace......I think of a gas furnace. You have an electric furnace.

Put your W wire on G. This will run the humidifier anytime the blower runs. You will need to disable the humidifier in the summer when the A/C is running.

Old 12-16-18, 11:42 AM
D
Thanks again. Sorry for the confusion by using Furnace to describe my setup. I had assumed W1 would be active when running the heat pump and W2 for the electric heat but this must not be accurate.

Old 12-16-18, 11:54 AM
Group Moderator
No...... in heat pump systems..... W is only the AUX/E/electric heat.
The heat pump in heat mode is Y and no power on the O/B (reversing valve) line.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: