Aprilaire 600 - Basic Solenoid Question

Old 12-29-18, 08:33 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 600 - Basic Solenoid Question

I replaced the solenoid because no water was flowing through the old valve even when it had 24v. The new one definitely opens and water flows, but the humidistat does not seemed to be tied to the furnace operation. Water is flowing through the valve all the time when the humistat senses that humidity level is too low. It seems like a huge waste of water.

Can this be correct? The unit was professionally installed and I never had to touch it until this year. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-18, 08:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Basic two wire manual humidistat or the automatic model ?
You need to find where power was connected to the furnace. Trace the wiring.

Old 12-29-18, 08:47 AM
G
Pete,

Thanks for the fast response. I believe I would describe it as the basic two wire model. I can trace the wire back to the furnace. I assume that it should be signalling the humidistat whether or not it's running, and the humidistat needs to open and close the solenoid accordingly. Is that correct?

Humdistat Image

Old 12-29-18, 08:54 AM
Group Moderator
Yes.... that's the manual h'stat. Follow the thermostat cable back to the furnace and see where it was connected. You can post pictures directly to the board...... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 12-29-18, 09:09 AM
G
Power to the humidistat comes from an outlet that is connected to the furnace. I tested it and it appears to be a constant 110v with the furnace running or not running, which means the humidistat doesn't know if the furnace is operating. There is a small transformer on the top of the outlet box that is stepping power down to 24v and feeding the solenoid.

It appears the original install was 'always on' power. I need to figure out how to make is a switched signal. I guess I would jump over to the furnace forum for that question. I have a Goodman furnace.

Attached Images  
Old 12-29-18, 09:29 AM
Group Moderator
Nope.... stay right here.

Remove the blower door and either give me the part number off the control board or post a picture of it.

Old 12-29-18, 10:31 AM
G
I am not sure what the control board is located. I removed the upper door on the lower portion of the furnace. I don't see anything that looks like a control board.

Name:  f1.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  149.8 KB

Name:  f2.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  77.7 KB

Name:  f3.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  101.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-29-18 at 11:06 AM. Reason: resized pics
Old 12-29-18, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
That's the burner door. Remove the other one that is over the blower.

Old 12-29-18, 10:51 AM
G
I found the control board. It's an Emerson brand, the part number on the board is unclear to the novice since there are several numbers. Here is the list:

GP/NPCBKF104
SRL C162512539 (Serial Number?)
SP/N50C51 290 02
5001 7746 REVA
The number 1625 is printed vertically on the sticker too

Also, the second photo shows three wires connected to neutral. The one with blue insulation appears to be the power source for my humidistat. Would there be 110V coming from that source? Interesting if that's the case.

Attached Images   
Old 12-29-18, 11:10 AM
G
I have to run out this afternoon, so will check the board later today. I also found this information from another forum relating to Goodman Furnace and Aprilaire 600. I will investigate the configuration based on this description.

"If you trace the tstat wires back from where they enter the furnace they should go to a power transformer which has a hot and neutral connection. Red usually is hot and blue or yellow on it is neutral.

If you have AC they go to Y from the tstat (cooling signal ) and the other to neutral on the transformer.

You will also have a W from the tstat (heat signal ) and you could hookup your humidifier there and the other wire to the transformer neutral. It will get turned on as soon as heat is called for."

Old 12-29-18, 11:14 AM
Group Moderator
There are two ways you can connect it. If you look at the picture of the burner wiring...... you'll see I put a yellow arrow pointing to a yellow wire. That wire tee's to both pressure switches. You can attach one wire there and the other to C on the control board.

The other method is to move that transformer to inside the furnace by the board. The black and white wire connection points are circled below.

Name:  PCBKF103S - Copy.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  89.9 KB

If you had the automatic humidistat..... you would connect to the W connection on the board. I don't like powering the solenoid directly off the W terminal.

Old 12-29-18, 11:38 AM
G
You're fast Pete, I haven't left yet. I want to make sure I understand this correctly, referring to the second option. The white wire running to the h'stat is already connected to the neutral, which you circled white. The second wire would be connected to the HUM slots on the control board. My board doesn't have prongs, so will need to figure out what connectors to use with those slots.

I will test to see if that's 110 or 24v coming off the control board. If it's 24v, what role does the transformer play?

Old 12-29-18, 12:04 PM
Group Moderator
In your very first picture..... there is a transformer attached to a receptacle box. That transformer would be disconnected from that location and moved to the control board area. The two points I circled are 120v connections and require that transformer to convert to 24v for the humidifier.

You can use 1/4" push-on crimp connectors.
Name:  crimp.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  4.1 KB

Old 12-29-18, 04:51 PM
G
I follow everything you're saying. I really appreciate your help. I am disappointed with the contractor that installed the unit. I hired them, it diminishes my view of their work. Thanks again.

Old 01-14-19, 09:20 AM
G
Finished - Thank you PJmax

I decided that I didn't want to move the existing transformer, so bought a new one from Home Depot for about $25. I installed per your direction. Humidifier now works exactly as it was designed. Furnace off, humidistat on, valve closed. Furnace on, humidistat on, valve open. Furnace on, humidistat off, valve off.

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-14-19, 09:26 AM
Group Moderator
Good job..... you're welcome....