Hose clamp for Aprilaire drain tubing?

Old 01-01-19, 07:42 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hose clamp for Aprilaire drain tubing?

I just installed an Aprilaire 700 and I'm not sure how to secure the drain line. Unlike my previous house's Aprilaire 500, on this one the drain spud is molded into the humidifier housing so if it cracks from an over tightened hose clamp I can't just replace the drain spud. The instructions aren't very helpful -- they warn against over tightening hose clamps, but never specifically say to use a hose clamp in the first place. The choices seem to be:

1. do nothing, the tubing seems to hold onto the drain spud pretty well by itself
2. put on a hose clamp and be careful
3. support the tubing lower down by zip-tying it to something so the tubing's weight isn't hanging on the drain spud, but don't put a clamp on the drain spud itself. There isn't anything to zip-tie it to, so I would have to screw something to the plenum to anchor it to.

Any advice? Thanks and Happy New Year!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-19, 07:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
You don't need to use a clamp on the hose. It is only gravity feed..... no pressure.

Old 01-01-19, 09:05 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Pete! So it won't fall off and flood my basement, just from the friction of the tubing against the drain spud? I guess I can believe that, the tubing does seem pretty secure, as long as it stays like that as it ages. Just makes me a little nervous.

By the way, Pete, I found a post of yours from 2 years ago that helped me understand how to wire my humidifier up to my ecobee thermostat (https://www.doityourself.com/forum/h...hermostat.html). Thank you for that too.

I have to say, I am not super impressed by this humidifier. The molded-in drain spud, the mounting screw holes don't seem to be very well thought out don't correspond exactly to the instructions, the wire nuts inside were barely on, and the plastic output tube compression fitting (assembled at the factory) leaked when I turned it on (to my surprise, I disassembled and reassembled the compression fitting and now it works, didn't have to replace any parts). I don't remember any issues like this with my old model 500.

Old 01-01-19, 11:01 AM
Group Moderator
I'm still using an older model than that one.

I haven't installed any 700's in a while. I use mostly the 600A's.

Old 01-01-19, 12:20 PM
Received 231 Votes on 206 Posts
The zip tie is a good idea. Just find any spot, even several feet away, just to give that extra support.

Old 01-01-19, 01:09 PM
Group Moderator
You can use anything to support the drain line. It's not critical as long as the end is lower than the unit. .........................................