Dehumidifier condensate removal

Old 01-09-19, 01:33 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dehumidifier condensate removal

Wanted to know if anyone knows of a 30-50 quart dehumidifier that drains from the bucket. I previously had one that drained from the bucket through a knockout. Once that one died, the only ones I could find require you to hook up the hose and every so often the bucket will fill up and the unit will cut off. I have used two and it is more of an inconvenience since I forget to check it regularly in the basement and sometimes find high humidity once I realize it has been off for days.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-19, 03:08 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Did you remove the drain fitting knockout in the new dehumidifiers you bought? Almost all I've seen will collect condensate in the bucket, unless the drain fitting knockout is removed. If you did, are the drain hoses routed such that gravity will allow for proper draining? I had an old Whirlpool dehumidifier that drained directly from the hose fitting on the bottom of the bucket, but most of these Chinese built new models seem to have a hose fitting mounted well above the bucket level. I'm not sure how they divert the condensate from the bucket to the drain hose. BTW, I've heard nothing good about newer dehumidifiers -- their lifespan and performance seem to be subpar compared to older US built units.

Old 01-09-19, 03:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Yup.... Beachboy nailed it pretty good.

Some new dehumidifiers have a built in pump that will actually pump condensate.
You can post the make and model for further and more detailed information.

Old 01-14-19, 09:51 AM
M
Thank you for the responses. Yes the plug is removed but about once every two months I will notice that the bucket is full and hose does not appear to be backed up. I dump the bucket and it runs fine for 2-3 more months. I just really like my older version that drained through the bucket.

Old 01-14-19, 12:19 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I don't how that is possible if the knockout is gone, the drain hose isn't plugged, or the end of the hose isn't higher than the dehumidifier bucket.

Old 01-14-19, 01:01 PM
A
Received 44 Votes on 39 Posts
Possible the hose connection is dripping? Takes 2 months to fill bucket that way.

Old 01-14-19, 02:39 PM
M
I dont know if there is a solution but I did wonder if anyone knew of a brand that still had a knockout in the bucket for the hose. I would be willing to purchase a new one and keep this as a backup.

Old 01-14-19, 03:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 673 Votes on 622 Posts
You need to put a brick on the hose to keep it down low and make sure it doesn't ever have a rise or kink in it.