trying to dial in Ecobee 4 and humidifier control

Old 01-18-19, 07:36 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
trying to dial in Ecobee 4 and humidifier control

Hi all

So, my Ecobee 4 is controlling my Aprilaire humidifier (mounted on the furnace/whole house unit).

There are two main options for the Ecobee, as it pertains to the humidifier control:
  1. Frost Control (recommended)
  2. Manual

Frost control (described HERE) has you set a value on the efficiency of your windows. I've read that double paned windows like mine should be rated 5 or 6, so I started from there. I am currently running under FROST CONTROL setting.

The problem is, the temps outside dipped, and I noticed more condensation on the window glass than with my previous controller. So, I dialed it back on the window efficiency.. down to 2 (more inefficient)

My concern is that my kids (7 and 3) are waking up in the middle of the night with scratchy throats, and wanting a drink. A hygrometer in the room indicated 30% relative humidity. Also, there is still (albeit much reduced) condensation on the windows

We added in-room humidifiers, now their rooms are 38-43% RH, and the night wakings seem to be abating.

My question is this: is ANY condensation on the windows "bad"? If there is just a little, on the bottom sash, just where the glass meets the sash frame, is that "ok" or "normal"?

Wondering how far, if at all, I need to go down this rabbit hole... Part of me prefers to crank the humidifier so we dont need in-room. The rest of me is aware that too much condensation isnt good, either.

Thanks in advance!
K

Old 01-18-19, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Frost on the window is just an indication that the windows are cold and the humidity is above the condensation point. If that was all that happened it would be fine. A little frost on the window is ok. The problem is the humidity increases inside the walls were it can condense and cause mold. This is not something that will happen overnight. It would be caused by long term high humidity levels.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: