Taking overload relay cover off from the dehumidifier

Old 04-19-19, 01:25 PM
Taking overload relay cover off from the dehumidifier

So dehumidifier does not collect water. Started troubleshooting and looks like the compressor is not running. It tries to come on (as I see the lights dimming for a quick second) and then stops. Looked at some other videos where I learned that if a click sound is heard after compressor turn on that is the overload relay tripping which cuts the power and compressor stops running. So I opened up the unit to check the relay for continuity and can't seem to get the relay cover off. See attached picture.

After taking the nut off the threaded shaft, the cap can't come off because of the suction line sitting on top of it and the compressor. I was thinking of taking the entire compressor off but that poses the same problem.

Name:  c1.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  26.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 04-19-19 at 02:08 PM. Reason: increased picture size
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-19, 02:11 PM
Group Moderator
Unfortunately it doesn't look made to be serviceable. It's actually pretty rare for the start relay to go bad on a dehumidifier. The most common problem is the refrigerant leaks out.

How old is the unit ?

Old 04-19-19, 02:30 PM
5 years old. One more piece of information. There is some liquid between the relay cover and the cylinder which comes out in tiny drops after I run it for 5 -10 mins. I touched and smelled it but couldn't figure out

Old 04-19-19, 03:41 PM
Group Moderator
If it appears to be oil..... you may have a refrigerant leak. There is a light oil carried in the refrigerant.

Old 04-20-19, 08:07 PM
I managed to take the cover off by bending the suction line up a little. See photos. The gasket was broken and there was oil on the surface. There are two 3 pins connector on the compressor head. I checked both for continuity and they are fine. Like you suggested, looks like it is a case of leaked refrigerant.
Is there a way this can be recharged? Also, if the refrigerant is leaked, what is compressor compressing because it still comes on. I don't think there is a check by which compressor would know that the system is out of refrigerant and it has to stop.

Attached Images   
Old 04-20-19, 08:59 PM
Group Moderator
The compressor has no idea if there is refrigerant and will just run and compress nothing. It will get warm but not hot. Typically the leak is in the evaporator coil and is pretty nearly impossible to fix.

Five years is on the better side of the average life expectancy of the current line of dehumidifiers built solely in China.

Old 04-21-19, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator
It the refrigernt has leaked out and the unit run for a short amount of time the compressor will be bad..
Without refrigerant the compressor will have gotten very hot and failed.

It would not be worth the cost of repairs to fix it.